C.Huahini vs Mouse

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Its been a few days since ie posted...fishing and celebrating the Chinese New Year and stuff :D

Okies, back to bizness...

The huahini is 4.5 to 5 inches LS(hard to estimate), the mouse is about 3 inches.

Will the Huahini be able to handle this?

So far the mouse has proven to fast, but not dangerous.

The Huaihni first went into a defensive posture, but after about 5 minutes lowered its front legs and went into hunting mode. Looks quite obvious that he wants the mouse, but its just too fast.

Anyone care to predict the outcome? its been about 20 minutes, and the mouse seems to be avoiding him well so far...

Peace all.
-e-

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the mouse is doomed!

but please confirm,

Doug H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know this maybe off the subject, But I am also into snakes ,and when I was new to them, I used to feed all of them live food .mostly because I was only 15-16 years old at the time and it was "cool" to watch them kill. that is until me very sweet 9' redtail boa got a bad wrap on a rat and it proceded to bite her eye:eek: well after that I have never ever fed any live prey that could be dangerous to my animals. mice have big sharp teeth.I mean if a cricket can kill a T in molt. I would really hate to see you post a mesage saying that the damn mouse just ripped open your T's abdomen or took off a leg. are you doing this for your enjoyment? if so its wrong. how about just powerflicking the mouse in the head and then giving it to your T ,or is that just not exciting enough for you.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Powerflicking?
Rr...I prolly don't wanna know.

Shadrach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OK lets not jump to conclusions here Doug, I've talked with Jobe on several occasions and don't think he is getting enjoyment out of this. The main thing to keep in mind is yes mice can bite back, but not everyone has had experience with snake feeding so alot of people have no idea that bites happen. I know when I got into snakes I had no clue that they would do this so I too fed live and never thought anything of it. With that said remember alot of the members on the site have never owned a reptile just T's there for feeding live is all they have encountered. Also several books refer to feeding dead prey as a hit and miss topic some T's will some won't. We all learn in the long run! It's just the matter of pointing something out and saying "Hey there's another way! Have you tried this?" Not to automatically asume someone already knows everything, and is doing it for enjoyment!

Doug H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok ok ok sorry if I sounded to harsh ,I guess this is just a sensitive topic for me .SO jobe I'm sorry if I was comimg off to strong ,I did not mean to offend you. but I am still against feeding live animals that could hurt your pets.

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mybe.....

Well........Mybe if you chop a mouse leg off so it won't be so fast. But then again, the mouse might go into a defence and try to attack you'r "T"..........Sorry I can't be of more help..

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lol, I'm under the impression that those who would believe/prefer he was joking are in minority here :)

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Interesting posts all. Was supposed to be an info required and damage control post, as i think my T could use something other that crix.

Nope, no enjoyment derived here from watching a mouse maimed and eaten, but at the same time no disgust etc...I would consider feeding anythin naturally to my cares as almost all things i have kept required some live feed occasionally (except my dogs :))

Sorry to hear about your snakes eye doug. Dont worry about coming on too strong too, i accept all views on the matter equally. Its all good ;)...I definitely do not get any kicks out of it, and if the Thread's title gave the wrong impression, it just sounded better than "Will my T be OK with a mouse 3/4 his bodysize"...

Shadrach, thanks for getting my back up there. You were right on about the enjoyment part.

I do not enjoy killing ANYTHING, but i do enjoy watching my pets get a satisfying meal.

Thanks all
-e-

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bizarre Update!!

Something weirds going on!

The mouse is still alive, and my T has gathered ALL the webbing in the kritterkeeper to a ball under him. I have not seen or even expected such a behavior from my T. Anyone seen this before?

There is NO other webbing in the kk anymore. He just bundled and lumped it below him...

Should i worry now? :?

-e-

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Re: Bizarre Update!!

Originally posted by Jobe

The mouse is still alive, and my T has gathered ALL the webbing in the kritterkeeper to a ball under him. I have not seen or even expected such a behavior from my T. Anyone seen this before?

There is NO other webbing in the kk anymore. He just bundled and lumped it below him...

-e-
PANIC! j/k!=D
I think that it will set up a trap, a hunting technique probably and trap the mouse, and kill it, sorry if this does not help! Update us!

James

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Re: Bizarre Update!!

Originally posted by Jobe

-e-
Jobe,

First off, get the mouse out of there. If it wasn't eaten yet, your T may be afraid of it due to the size. I wouldn't leave a live mouse in there for more than 24 hrs.

Second, are you sure that the T is a he? Big ball of webbing sounds like an eggsac to me. In which case, really get the mouse out of there now..... :)

Scott

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well..... what happened man?
update us please!

also why not shoot a video? (if you have the equip of course)
I recall intervepet has one.

Doug H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I really hope that mouse dosnt get to hungry and start to eat your T. Just think about it jobe ,In the wild your T would be able to get away from something that big that is bothering it. obviously the mouse is to big or the T woould have eaten by now. you have no one to blam but youreself if that mouse damages or kills your T.Im not sorry anymore because what your doing now is just not right.you need to take that mouse out.

Shadrach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have to agree with you Doug on this one! If the T hasn't taken the mouse in a short time frame remove the mouse ASAP! No need in risking it!

Doug H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yea ,I take out crickets if my T's dont eat them in 24hrs.even my adults.Just to risky.

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Jeez Doug, at least lemme post an update before pointing fingers man...its Chinese New Year here and i just couldnt access the net to post immediately...

After the T grouped the web up, it ignored the mouse. An hour after that, i checked again, and the mouse is dead. Waited half a day, the mouse didnt get eat, so it was out of there...! Bottom line is i wanted to find out if my T could handle live mice so i could provide it with an alternate diet occasionally and the smallest mice sold here was 3"...

I was aware of the possibilities, and monitored the progress till i was satisfied the mouse would not be a threat. Please do not jump to conclusions and make me sound like an incompetant and irresponsible caregiver! Just because you have an issue with live feed doesnt mean you have to burn a hole in my thread the way you did as what i am doing i believe is not wrong...Im posting here to share and gain some info, i did not expect anyone to go "Im not sorry anymore because youre..." If nothing else, it just sounded rude.

Edited: I apologise for not being able to provide immediate updates to this thread, and it may be like that for a few more days.

-e-!

Last edited:

Doug H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Jobe, the only reason I replyed to your posts was because I actually was concerned for the health and welfare of your T.And did not want it to end up dead. I'm glad to hear that it was not harmed.in the future you might try something else. like meybe a freshly killed mouse and use some long forceps and dangle it in front of your T.If you ever read any books on T's most of them mention about feeding ,that they should not be offered food larger than there abdomen.so maybe a pinkie or fuzzy mouse would be better.If you thought I was rude thats ok:) everybody has there own opinion about everything.good luck with future feeding attempts and Happy new year
Doug