C. Huahini lost his appetite...

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi fellars :)

The last time i mentioned about my C. Huahini, he was an eating machine...but he hasnt really eaten anything for a couple of months now.

At first i wasnt worried, cos his abdomen was always full blown, he looked healthy, had no visible infections and was behaving normal in all respects except when it came to cricket devastation...

And then it happened, woke in the morning to find he had molted :)

i thought maybe thats why he wasnt eating...but its been a week since his molt and hes built himself a new web n stuff, but guess what...still not killing crix... :?

Oh yeah, and he is also a whole lot darker than before...now dark brown, almost bordering black...

Anyone got any advise on this, or is this normalish...

Thanks ppl.

-e-

P/s: i must apologise from my absence for so long and then just coming back to post another question...i recently moved into a new place and the evil telco/isp ppl still havent fixed up my line for me yet...:mad: ...ill message from work for now whenever im free...

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey there

my huahini doesn't eat right after a molt either (even when it was a sling).. It usually takes a week or so...

don't worry.
as long as the abdomen looks healthy, you're fine.
just keep offering food and if not, no big deal.

make sure the neccesities are there though. the more you get into this, i think the less worried you get at their eating behaviours and the other little things... you get used to it... even when its out of left field... you look for a couple things first to make sure the T is ok, then you continue on normally.... Pretty soon someone will be over at your house looking at your bugs saying "wow, whens the last time your spider ate" and you'll shrug your shoulders and be like "oh i dunno, maybe a month or so ago.. no big deal" :)

good luck man

later
dave

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave
Hey there

my huahini doesn't eat right after a molt either (even when it was a sling).. It usually takes a week or so...

don't worry.
as long as the abdomen looks healthy, you're fine.
just keep offering food and if not, no big deal.

make sure the neccesities are there though. the more you get into this, i think the less worried you get at their eating behaviours and the other little things... you get used to it... even when its out of left field... you look for a couple things first to make sure the T is ok, then you continue on normally.... Pretty soon someone will be over at your house looking at your bugs saying "wow, whens the last time your spider ate" and you'll shrug your shoulders and be like "oh i dunno, maybe a month or so ago.. no big deal" :)

good luck man

later
dave

hey dave what do you think of this spieces its hard to find info on them online like how large do they get do they have a bad attitude like most asian spices?

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dig em Sean -- I spent $14.99 on an 1.5" sling from my store around here... very cool.

medium sized (between 5 and 7 inches), tear-drop shaped abdomen... they're said to be pretty defensive,but i don't notice mine too defensive...

they're a very cool species, but they can get the breath of god in them sometimes and book it like hell. VERY cool species to have... beautiful dusty tan colouring (not like a P.murinus "dusty" sp though... more muted).

Mine doesn't burrow too too much, but its always moving dirt around. I dont think you'll be caring for dirt, i find them to be like parahybanas or inceis -- in the dirt, but not down deep..

then again im sure someone here has a C.huahini that lives 10 feet below the ground, so go figure.

good luck!
peace
dave

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave
I dig em Sean -- I spent $14.99 on an 1.5" sling from my store around here... very cool.

medium sized (between 5 and 7 inches), tear-drop shaped abdomen... they're said to be pretty defensive,but i don't notice mine too defensive...

they're a very cool species, but they can get the breath of god in them sometimes and book it like hell. VERY cool species to have... beautiful dusty tan colouring (not like a P.murinus "dusty" sp though... more muted).

Mine doesn't burrow too too much, but its always moving dirt around. I dont think you'll be caring for dirt, i find them to be like parahybanas or inceis -- in the dirt, but not down deep..

then again im sure someone here has a C.huahini that lives 10 feet below the ground, so go figure.

good luck!
peace
dave
cool, are they like big time webbers or no, for some reason i have a fascination with big webbers, i find them amazing

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Sean
hey dave what do you think of this spieces its hard to find info on them online like how large do they get do they have a bad attitude like most asian spices?
Yes...yes they are...violent little buggers sometimes :D...much like asian chinese ppl...heh heh...can be small but packs a punch...

Thanks for the info too, Sean :)

Already used to the spiders not eating that much, its just that this dude in particular was an eating machine untill a few months back...btw, i just realised its been more like 4 or 5 months total since he ate and not just a couple :?

But like you said, hes abdomen is still plump, water provided...moves normally etc...i dunno...im giving him another week before i get really worried...

cheers.
-e-