C.gracilis venom

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, How bad is the venom of Centruroides gracilis across the natural range, i heard a few rumors, but whats the current opinion. References too please

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Well, you've probably heard "the Florida C. gracilis is not as toxic as the Central American C. gracilis", blah, blah, blah...

In Manny Rubio's book, he says that C. gracilis, the "average" of the two from different locations is a 3 out of 5 on a venom scale. I've heard the most dangerous it could be called is a 4 out of 5. You can check on The Scorpion Fauna of Eric Ythier, a very knowledgeable "scorpiologist" or Jan Ove Rein's site The Scorpion Files. There are also several very knowledgeable members on this board. Good luck!;)

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Got stung by a juvenile (Mexico, Veracruz) once, and at first I though I got a thorn in my knuckle. It didn't hurt bad, or long. I've hurt myself on plants worse {D

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No idea, I don't think so since I rested my knuckle on top of the scorpion, accidentally. Maybe because it was a juvenile? It was painful, but only for a short while, and more so than putting a small needle in my knuckle.

Anyway, I now and then handle adults in the wild, and they are (in my experience) very docile and easy to pick up. Video of me rescueing a C. gracilis from ants: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT9J1LnSrWw

edit: I like it how it uses its claws to climb up.

Alejandro45

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have been stung many times by C.gracilis.

In Key West I was stung in a bed on the inner thigh, I had the worst reaction to the sting from this one. Major pain, discororation and alot of swelling. Not sure if it was due to some local specific variant of C.gracilis or just because I was stung close to the jewls, my gess is the latter.

I was stung by another one in the northern edge of the EGNP That one was very minimal and had little discoloration and swelling.

I agree with John their are meaner plants!!