C. Gracilis Babies

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey!
My Female just poped out like 30 little guys this morning . she was hanging upside down on a big rock in her aqu. and they kept fallen off so i put her and her young in a smaller pen pal. Some of the baby`s were stuck motionless in a clump of white mucusy stuff and she`s now eating some of them. Anything i can do to stop her from eating all of them??/
I put a cricket in her cage and one with its belly open so the little guy could get to it. But i think she might eat all of them.There`s a couple in her mouth now . There`s about 6 on her back and the rest are kinda balled up in some mucus and a couple wandering around very little.
any answers??

Thanx Mat

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Reply sent via E-mail...
If anyone else has successful methods which have worked in the past, please do post them.

adios,
edw. :D

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Very cool on the litter...hey you are pretty close to skinheaddave aren't you?

John
];')

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey thanx for replying !
There`s about 15 on her back now and still a good ten on the ground next to her. Their still alive . They move around if i touch them with a pen.She isn`t eating them any more but i hope the others will get on her back . She ate all the others, but there`s still a good twenty -twentyFive left. She ate the white stuff and they seem to beable to get on her back slowly since there was only about six this mornig. I`m gonna take the cricket out and try feeding her with some tweezers in a couple days unless she`s eating them again. If the other ones are still on the ground in the morning and alive, i might put them together in a small little plastic dipping sauce container.With some paper toweling as a substrate.I gonna keep it damp but not wet and the top of the cage is covered 90% with plastic wrap. I `m not sure if this is good or a deffinate way for them to die ..Sooooo please reply when you have a chance .

Thanx again
Mat

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Mat,

I have had a bit of success raising some offspring that were abandoned. They ultimately died, but I got some past their first moult. What I did was take one of those fishing tackle/sewing boxes with the dividers. I put some paper towel in some of the compartments and threw the young in there. I filled the rest with water and closed the lid. I kept it in my hot room (around 80F). Worked fine at first.

Cheers,
Dave

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
YEAH CAUSE THEY LOOK REAL HEALTHY and there trying to waddle around and stuff. There`s still 8 on the ground and the rest ,Thankfully, are on her back now(15-20). I noticed her last night lying low next to the floor for the little buggers to try and climb up on her. Pretty crazy. The real fun now is gonna be finding some micro crickets. Probably gonna spend an hour or so picking them out of the big n smelly cricket bin at the shop. It`s weird that she doesn`t eat the ones that are still on the ground. I think that as long as she doesn`t start eating them i`ll probably leave them there . Their on moist paper towel. They`ll be more mobile soon so maybey they`ll make up there after all.!!

Mat

So I`m probably gonna have to many of these soon , so any of my neibours , Feel free to contact me if you want any.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thats good news. Just keep a close eye on them and like I said, keep us all informed to your progress. Do attempt to keep them in with the mother because if she makes her way near them, they may be able to climb on. If you remove them, there is no chance they will get on and will probably suffer death. I raised a single Hadogenes troglodytes with no help from the mother, luckily, the lil' slow grower has survived for a little over a year now. A rare situation.

adios,
edw. :D

As reply to your next comment, Thanks! =D

Last edited:

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well i suceeded to get three of them on her back and four of them i put on top of a piece of bark. Small enough to fit in the mini deli cup. There were four more dead on the paper toweling. this is why i took them out .But she now has quite the bushell of young on her back so i think it`s gonna be O.K.!

:D :D :D

I`ll keep you guys informed about the little guys in the coming days.

Mat

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well they moulted and are considerably diferent looking now. Their appendages are more pronounced and their tails are a little bit longer . Another one passed away, i expected it too cause i put it on the mother probably about 6 times in the last week and it just kept fallin off. But the other ones look good! The Mother hasn`t eaten yet ,or the little ones either. But i expect them to soon. Will they now leave her back shortly or will it be another week or so? Bjax told me she ran into alot of them canabalising each other so as soon as they leave her back for good i plan on seperating them into these little sauce cups i got from work .Individualy or maybe pairs. Im not sure yet. But if you guys gots some idea`s,,,,I`d love to hear them!

Thanx always,
Mat:cool:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Individualy if you are worried about canabalism. They should be moving off her back any time now ... they don't generaly stick around that long after moulting.

Cheers,
Dave

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well they ate when i was gone and must have climbed right back on her .`cause thats where they are now, i removed a couple dead ones that didn`t make it through the moult right off her back.

I put another opened up dead cricket in there so i`ll see in the morning!!Is canabalism common in C. Gracilis`?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Mat,

In theory, no. They are pretty communal as scorpions go. They aren't exactly vegetarians, though, and I wouldn't be too surprised if you lose some.

Cheers,
Dave

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How do i get the little guys to stay off her back? I want to seperate them and i`mm having difficulties.

Thanx Mat

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well they were eating each other so i seperated them one by one into little containers .REEEEEEEAL fun(sarcasm) . Small and very quick. I found out on the third last one that they can`t sting. well they cant peirce my skin anyways. Thirteen is the count so far. They`ll be alright ....don`t you guys think?Almost three weeks old now.

Mat

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There eating crickets quite well. and seem to be happy! no losses

Mat

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well they made one made it to 6th instar this morning and the other isn`t far away. So thats 2(mine) and 1 (Dave) That made it out of thirty......Crazy! Excelent learning process and man do they ever grow fats for differences in temp. For instance, I beleive dave has been keeping his Low 80oF and it`s at 4rth instar. I`ve been keeping mine at high 80of and its motabalism spead right up. I`m not sure if this is a good thing for me `cause in theory, Faster they grow the faster their gonna die, But I guess will wait and see. So in a week, when their exo`s harden i get to design a whole new Centruroides tank (Heheh)For the young and the adult. Just hope one of my young is a male!

Mat

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Present 6th instars

. You can already see the differences sexually. The male obviously is the slim one with long mesasoma segments, and the fat female with the shorter segments.

The two originals,big Momma, and what turned out to be a female, came from Robert Boudreault.

Mat

Attachments