C.gracilis babies.

TyThereptileguy

Arachnopeon
Hello all my female C.gracilis unexpectedly gave birth last night I had no idea she was even gravid. But I have a few questions that I figured the more experienced people could help me with I searched the web with no real answers.
First. she had the babies a good majority were balled up in a mass (seem they are all stuck together) all alive from what I could tell but she started eating them. I gave her a dubia roach which she ate majority of and then went back to eating the babies is there any way to combat this?.
Second. About 5 maybe 6 babies made it on to her back and about 8 or 9 are just wandering around the enclosure should I do anything about that or just leave them and they will be alright?
Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hello all my female C.gracilis unexpectedly gave birth last night I had no idea she was even gravid. But I have a few questions that I figured the more experienced people could help me with I searched the web with no real answers.
First. she had the babies a good majority were balled up in a mass (seem they are all stuck together) all alive from what I could tell but she started eating them. I gave her a dubia roach which she ate majority of and then went back to eating the babies is there any way to combat this?.
Second. About 5 maybe 6 babies made it on to her back and about 8 or 9 are just wandering around the enclosure should I do anything about that or just leave them and they will be alright?
Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.
I would remove the ones that are wandering and separate them into containers since that is too early for them to have separated from her.

TyThereptileguy

Arachnopeon
I would remove the ones that are wandering and separate them into containers since that is too early for them to have separated from her.
I separated the ones that were wandering and all 14 seem to be doing ok so far, I guess first molt and time will tell. I have been constantly feeding mom to make sure the babies on her back don't get eaten (she's taken 2 of the 6 on her back) :/ . Is there any real issue if they don't ride with mom? I looked up to see what the benefits of riding with her opposed to being separated is and I can't find any explanation on what the difference would be other than to keep them safe from predators. Thank you for your reply I appreciate it.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I separated the ones that were wandering and all 14 seem to be doing ok so far, I guess first molt and time will tell. I have been constantly feeding mom to make sure the babies on her back don't get eaten (she's taken 2 of the 6 on her back) :/ . Is there any real issue if they don't ride with mom? I looked up to see what the benefits of riding with her opposed to being separated is and I can't find any explanation on what the difference would be other than to keep them safe from predators. Thank you for your reply I appreciate it.
They should be fine as long as they are safe in their own cups.
They will not eat on their own until they molt. Once they do and are hardened up you can start to offer (appropriately sized) prey.