C. fimbriatus

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was wondering if anyone else's C. fimbriatus has this habit. Mine has built what looks like a sheet web slightly above the substrate of it's entire enclosure. Reminds me of a grass spider's web with the funnel where the spider attacks from. The fimbriatus has a burrow into the substrate with 2 openings into the sheet web, when I put a cricket in the enclosure the spider comes rushing from it's burrow (whichever opening the cricket is closest to) and pulls the cricket down the burrow. This is the first time I have had this species (I've had it since Feb.) But none of the other species I have had experience with have built a sheet looking web. Is this normal for this species?

Andy

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My C fimbriatus has done a similar thing, but in a more enclosed space. I assume you are referring to what is almost a raised ceiling of silk within the confines of the tank

It's in a circular container (I think you would call it a "Deli Cup" in America) and I gave it an even layer of peat substrate.

Within a day or so, it had dug all the peat up and compacted it into a central pile. There is NO substrate now around the edges.
It then webbed everything in sight, and made a canopy above itself. The whole setup looks like a large cotton reel...I have to tear the web open slightly every time I need to feed her.

This is without a doubt my strangest tarantula. It's hunting methods are most unorthadox.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with you Lopez, it'shunting methods are unorthodox, mine didn't pile up all the substrate like yours, but instead dug a burrow all the way to the bottom and across the bottom underneath the substrate and has an opening to the web at either side of the container. So my peat is still intact except for a burrow, but the sheet type web is about 1/2" above the peat over the whole container.

Andy

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Mine does the same thing, too! Here she is, grabbing a superworm.

Joy

Last edited: