C. Fasciatum Troubles

stargell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My C. fasciatum (about 3.75") has been acting strange the last couple of months. Even more restless and nervous than in the past year and not taking food.

Today I looked in the enclosure and noticed that one of his legs has fallen off. There is not enough space between the soil and the top of the enclosure for him to have been hanging. Nor do I have anything in there like rocks or sharp objects (just a plastic flower pot enclosure with no sharp or jagged edges).

I'm wondering what could have caused this. I'm also wondering if the leg will grow back if it ever reaches another moult.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
My C. fasciatum (about 3.75") has been acting strange the last couple of months. Even more restless and nervous than in the past year and not taking food.

Today I looked in the enclosure and noticed that one of his legs has fallen off. There is not enough space between the soil and the top of the enclosure for him to have been hanging. Nor do I have anything in there like rocks or sharp objects (just a plastic flower pot enclosure with no sharp or jagged edges).

I'm wondering what could have caused this. I'm also wondering if the leg will grow back if it ever reaches another moult.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated. Thank you.
hmmm, interesting. maybe stress (or i've heard: spider not thinking leg was worth the effort, maybe from a previous injury) or like aforementioned could have caused the spider to pull it off hisself??:confused: maaaaybe. lets see if Ryan will respond or knows about something else. and depending on the size of the spidey, the leg should grow back fine. spiderling: no problem: 1 maybe 2 molts, perfectly find. adult: 1, 2, or even 3 molts to getting back to normal. it also depends on how long the spider lost the leg b4 the molt.

stargell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the quick response, Widow.

Just hate to think it's suffering.

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Is he mature, by any chance? If he tried to climb the container and got a claw hooked on the lid before losing his balance, that little bit of 'Oh no, I'm trapped' pressure might have caused him to pop the leg free.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
just by reading the part about "not eating food in awhile" got me thinkin upcoming molt. but that's weird that he would lose a leg. have you changed anything before he started acting "weird" such as putting cage in sunlight, playing radio loudly, um, anything to sort of stress him out a little more than normal??

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hum, not eating, restless, wandering, dropping legs... sounds like a maure male, and a fasciatum might well be adult at that size. so has he got hooks and boxing gloves? if yes, he is most probably nearing the end of his life.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a MM fasciatum that is about that size if not smaller. He doesn't often accept food and wanders constantly. All he cares about is gettin' him some 8-legged pooty! I can see with his enthusiastic escape attempts the possibility of him getting hung up in a vent or whatever.

It's not life threatening by any means for a spider to drop a leg. Check his pedipalps for the boxing gloves and his front 2 legs for tibial spurs (hooks). If he's a mature male you may want to prepare yourself for his eventual passing. Within a year i'd expect.

stargell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just saw the hooks ladies and gents.

That explains the erratic behavior. Or put another way, it normalizes what i thought was erratic behavior.

I guess I should prepare myself for his upcoming passing.

Anyone have a G. pulchra for sale?