C. exilicauda dead....

chichi

Arachnopeon
I have a C. exilicauda, which i obtained in a raffle. It was my first scorpion, because I'm really focusing in tarantulas, so I don't really know what to do with it. I also ran-out of feeders so I decided to buy some superworms. When I'm feeding it, I chop first the superworms to smaller bits so it will be easy for the scorp to chew it. I also did some research about it's care sheet and followed it.

But, when I woke up yesterday in the morning, I noticed that it's not moving anymore. I tried to push it with a tweezer but it didn't moved at all. I wonder what could be the reason of it's death.

I got it in a raffle in our general assembly last month.

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What were the conditions? and what were you keeping it on? It could have just been old..

chichi

Arachnopeon
It's dry. I think I just moist it twice a week. I'm keeping it in a film canister. It's still small. I think it's just in its 2nd instar.

When I got it, there's already a piece of wood inside for the scorpion to climb on. Most of the time, he's just on the pice of wood.

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I dont know then. I do know that some centruroides need it more moist when they are young, maybe thats the case with these as well??? I would love to get some someday, and I wish i could help you more..

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i keep my babies on peat moss with a climb (toothpick propped up) in a tall pill bottle and mist at least once a week. they still tend to be fragile and can die for no apparent reason. sometimes they're very stubborn about eating, too.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you found it all dried up like scorpion beef jerky, then it was most likely dehyrdrated. I've had young instars of desert species kept right next to eachother in open top vials and had some deaths and others flourish. I'd estimate that improper feeding has caused this in many of my cases, as well as others. For a butter survival rate you may have to observe the amount of food uptake and feed more accordingly.

Hope it helps,
Ed

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Man, don't let this bring you down. If it was an adult, it could have been its time. Just keep trying. Scorpions are amazing animals and are worth keeping.

emmille

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah

Canth is right. Don't let this bring you down. I got myself a pair of C. excilicauda for the first time & give birth a week after. the slings are now on their I3. Hopefully they would reach maturity. Just try & try, though you said you're really into tarantulas & not scorpions. It's fun to be with scorpions too!!!! {D

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ok. thanks for the infos. i'll just focus more on tarantulas now.
I don't like that decision. At least keep one scorp to diversify your collection. :) If you can't find any species you like in a week or so, PM me and I'll try to set you up with an American species. Don't end your scorpion career on a bad note, ;) lol. Good luck, let me know.
Ed

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Exilicauda are picky little things, too hot, too cold, too moist or not moist enough. I always recommend a desert or a tropical species for a beginner scorp, they are all pretty straight forward..even at low instars. I would try a H. arizonensis or a Vaejovis species are always pretty hard to kill :p