C. exilicaida community trial run...

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've been meaning to try this for quite a while so here we go. I'm kind of making a trail run of it by just housing a m/f pair first. I will make a larger (and nicer) set up depending on how this goes. SO far the pair seems to really enjoy eachother's company. Every time I look in on them they are always hanging out side by side.

I mist when needed but I'm wondering if a actual water dish may be better...

Atrax

Attachments

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Nice setup, Atrax. I wouldn't be surprised if they use some of that cork bark to get it ooooon. Anyhow, I always recommend a water dish, regardless of anything else. Doesn't have to be large or topped off all the time, but having water available most of the time is a good idea.

Cheers,
Dave

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great looking scorps!
I`m gonna keep my eye out for some.......
I love Centruroides spp. `cause of there setups. They always seem to have more life in them.With all the vertical hides and plants that they love. "Itsa Beautifa Thing"

Mat=D

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's a mix of red sand, black calci-sand and a touch of peat.

Thanks Dave and Chau!
A water dish has been promptly added too! :)

See ya.

Atrax

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Its about time you got around to putting them together. Maybe you will get some babies out of the experiment. Nice looking set-up by the way.

John
];')

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Great setups guys. It really makes me want to get some more C. exilicauda. I think I just might do so in the next couple weeks.

adios,
edw. :D

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree, very nice enclosure. How many C. exilicauda would be required to support a self-sustaining population?

W. Smith

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Theoreticaly, one male and one female are all you need, since they can easily reproduce themselves over their lifespan. In fact, there is little you could do to prevent a population explosion if you had reasonable juvenile survival. It is all about survival, you see.

Cheers,
Dave

EDIT: Of course, if you want to get technical, you would need a greater number to counteract demographic stochasticity and even more to prevent eventual genetic meltdown due to inbreeding. In order to get exact numbers, though, you need to know a lot more about various parameters.