C. Elegans

jdubs

Arachnopeon
Hey Everyone

Are there any good care sheets out there for this species (I've already done the search thing)? Its going to be my next and am just looking for guidance on enclosure size (assuming it can be pretty small - right now thinking of a Container Store 4" x 4" x 3.5" "cube"), temperature, and humidty requirements. Do they burrow at all?

I've pretty much run out of my allotted T space (per the mrs.) and the dwarf species seem to be the logical step for me if I want to add any more Ts to my collection! Besides, the C. Elegans is pretty dang cool looking! :)

Thanks!
Jim

MOBugGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How big is it/ Keep the sub moist but not damp.I got three 1/2" juvies in vials and its perfect size.

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Do they burrow at all?
Yes, very much, so it's imporant to have enough substrate to accommodate the depth needed. You can predig a tunnel going down the side of the container to make it easier for you to see your girl. Keep the substrate slightly damp. Your cube measurements sound okay..

jdubs

Arachnopeon
Yes, very much, so it's imporant to have enough substrate to accommodate the depth needed. You can predig a tunnel going down the side of the container to make it easier for you to see your girl. Keep the substrate slightly damp. Your cube measurements sound okay..
Thanks! I actually have a higher cube that I can and will use given the burrowing tendency you mention and will make sure there is approx. 3in of substrate. Will also add a small hide and maybe a silk plant leaf or two.

75-80 degrees ok? You mention slightly damp substrate...70-80% air humidity ok?

-Jim

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks! I actually have a higher cube that I can and will use given the burrowing tendency you mention and will make sure there is approx. 3in of substrate. Will also add a small hide and maybe a silk plant leaf or two.

75-80 degrees ok? You mention slightly damp substrate...70-80% air humidity ok?

-Jim
Really, you're overthinking it for a sling that small. Just provide 3-4" of lightly misted substrate, and maybe a leaf, and call it done. Watch that baby go! They dig some fantastic little tunnels. :)

mitchrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my biggest girl (was like 1.5" at time of death) was kept in a 4"x4" cube that was plenty of room, she dug a deep tunnel and did some webbing up above. i currently have a 1" girl in the biggest dram size vial (i forget teh size) its like 2-2.5" around and 4" tall i think...i need to rehouse her, but it was enough room for her to mate, lay sac and raise it without issues. these dont need much room...
keep them moist, mist every so often, and room temperature should be fine to be honest.
good luck! these are one of my favorite species :cool:

jdubs

Arachnopeon
Cool, thanks everyone! I will let you know how things turn out.

-Jim

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How fast do they mature? Mine is 9 months old now and about 1". I never see him but for the last 3 days he has been running around the enclosure day and night. I've been searching trying to find their lifespan but with no luck. Is it possible he is a MM already?