C. elegans slings question

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They are 2nd instar, and will eat dead prey, how long should I leave it in for them? for instance, if I give them a cricket drumstick today for thanksgiving....remove it by the end of the day, or a couple hours? wait overnight? How long before it could spoil and they would get sick from it?

Enomegra

Arachnopeon
Over night is fine. Longer than 12 hours, depending on the heat and humidity, would likely result in decay.

Enomegra

Arachnopeon
Np. And might I add that C. elegans is a fabulous choice for a T. I am quite partial to dwarfs.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well these are my first, when I bought them I did not realize they were sooooo tiny, like the size of ants. I had three, and one died yesterday already. Just molted too. I so much want them to grow up so I'm trying to do everything right to keep these other two going.

MOBugGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I like dwarfs(Got 4 species) I just leave drum sticks in over night and never had a problem. I use to do it all the time when I feed crickets I just smash roachs head now.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've never heard of a spider getting sick from eating spoiled prey.

Overnight is a good rule of thumb.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mo, how often would you suggest giving them a drumstick. Like every other day?

Xhexdx, don't talk to me. I don't like you.

Enomegra

Arachnopeon
I wasn't really saying they would get sick but if the prey is not fresh they would not likely eat it and it would just become a source for bacteria and mold growth. T't are not scavengers after all.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mo, how often would you suggest giving them a drumstick. Like every other day?

Xhexdx, don't talk to me. I don't like you.
??????

Not sure what that is all about, but I guess me not knowing is a hint that it is none of my business.

As for the dwarfs, once a week I drop a pre-killed B. lateralis nymph in and I retrieve it the next day to make sure fungus doesn't fill the cage. I have also used pinhead crickets and fruit flies with success. Once they hit 4th instar I just drop a live B. lateralis roach in there and it is pulled out the next day if it is still around.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I have 3 x C. elegans, a C. perezmilesi and a C. ritae, each of them a tiny speck when I got it. The elegans (I've had them the longest) are almost mature now, the other 2 are still quite small. I feed mine weekly, just as I do with any other spider. I also leave the prey overnight, although I have found with all my Cyriocosmus, that there usually isn't anything left to retrieve. They are great little eaters.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks everyone, I will do that - drop in a cricket drumstick and leave it overnight and do this about every 6 days. These last two seem to be doing well. I'm crossing my fingers!