C. Elegans not eating or burrowing

burntclaw

Arachnopeon
I'm worried about my 0.75" C. Elegans. Since I have purchased her, it made a shallow hole in the ground and completely buried itself inside of it, not eating or tunneling. Here is a picture of the enclosure, it's a 6"x4"x4" acrylic box with about 3 inch of substrate. I keep one corner and the bottom part of the substrate moist and the water dish is always full. Should I be worried about her? Thanks!

rn_image_picker_lib_temp_2fc798aa-e1ad-4b26-ba90-3cc6e712c580.jpg

Hi
Give it time to settle in.I raised mine in 1oz deli cup, then moved it in 4oz deli cup and finally in 10cm cube as forever home.When I moved her into the larger enclosure it took ages for her to settle in and start eating and tunneling. It did 4 month fast to begin with and now she webbed the enclosure blocking her original burrow under the cork bark and created tunnels around the sides.It eats about once a month now(I offer pray once every 2 weeks)but she refused last time so think it may molt in next month or so.
Mine has only about an inch of substrate as adult and about 1.5cm as sling and is able to completely dissappear in it .lol
Regards Konstantin

Last edited:

burntclaw

Arachnopeon
Hi
Give it time to settle in.I raised mine in 1oz deli cup, then moved it in 4oz deli cup and finally in 10cm cube as forever home.When I moved her into the larger enclosure it took ages for her to settle in and start eating and tunneling. It did 4 month fast to begin with and now she webbed the enclosure blocking her original burrow under the cork bark and created tunnels around the sides.It eats about once a month now(I offer pray once every 2 weeks)but she refused last time so think it may molt in next month or so.
Mine has only about an inch of substrate as adult and about 1.5cm as sling and is able to completely dissappear in it .lol
Regards Konstantin
Thank you, this anecdote is very helpful to hear! I'll leave her be (as I've been doing). What size was she when you moved her in her big enclosure?

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you! Do you think it would be beneficial to move her to a smaller enclosure until she gets a little bigger? mines smaller than that by maybe 2 molts!
Yes. It will be hard for you to make sure a tiny T is eating, drinking, molting and growing well in such a relatively large enclosure. I'd go with something like a 5.5oz condiment cup or 8oz deli cup instead.

burntclaw

Arachnopeon
Yes. It will be hard for you to make sure a tiny T is eating, drinking, molting and growing well in such a relatively large enclosure. I'd go with something like a 5.5oz condiment cup or 8oz deli cup instead.
Thank you! I'll rehouse her!

cold blood

Staff member
Thank you! Do you think it would be beneficial to move her to a smaller enclosure until she gets a little bigger?
absolutely...over sized enclosures make things more difficult for you AND the tarantula.

burntclaw

Arachnopeon
just downgraded pretty significantly, seems like she's settling in well. immediately webbed up her surroundings :) thank you all!