C. Darlingi Experiment

winwin

Arachnoknight
I have an experiment for my sling, I think it's 2i or 3i and I'm trying to see if a burrower is setted up as terrestrial since sling if it would stay terrestrial when it grows up. I gave it only little substrate, it's been with me for a week and it's doing very well, eating everyday(the 1st day with me, it ate 3 small lats), now it moved the substrate to 1 side and is staying in the part with no substrate, it also didn't web.

I setted up my 5cm H. Lividum also similarly to this but with more substrate, around 3/4 inch and it burrowed vertically and is eating well also.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have 4 darlingi..

One is a MM so he is always wondering his enclosure..

One is a 3" unsexed juvie.. It has burrowed..

Two are mature females.. One of which has taken to a burrow.. The other.. I have offered several pieces of cork bark.. Still will not burrow or use the hides.. She has just done a lot of webbing & sits on top of her substrate..

winwin

Arachnoknight
I have 4 darlingi..

One is a MM so he is always wondering his enclosure..

One is a 3" unsexed juvie.. It has burrowed..

Two are mature females.. One of which has taken to a burrow.. The other.. I have offered several pieces of cork bark.. Still will not burrow or use the hides.. She has just done a lot of webbing & sits on top of her substrate..
So you're saying the could be terrestrial, burrower or webber?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So you're saying the could be terrestrial, burrower or webber?
Pretty much.. All of them have more than enough substrate to burrow..

The Juvie.. Burrowed.. Only comes out to eat..

The MM.. Being a MM is wondering trying to find a lady..

Female #1.. Will not burrow.. She has a heap load of substrate.. Still wont burrow.. She just webs all over the cork bark & is always in the open.. But can burrow whenever she wants..

Female #2.. She has a burrow.. She has only recently taken to sitting outside the burrow for hopes of catching dinner... Once she eats.. She goes back in her burrow..

They basically do whatever they feel safe with..

winwin

Arachnoknight
Pretty much.. All of them have more than enough substrate to burrow..

The Juvie.. Burrowed.. Only comes out to eat..

The MM.. Being a MM is wondering trying to find a lady..

Female #1.. Will not burrow.. She has a heap load of substrate.. Still wont burrow.. She just webs all over the cork bark & is always in the open.. But can burrow whenever she wants..

Female #2.. She has a burrow.. She has only recently taken to sitting outside the burrow for hopes of catching dinner... Once she eats.. She goes back in her burrow..

They basically do whatever they feel safe with..
I'll update this thread if anything changes, it's not premolt yet and eats everyday, let's see if anything changes after a molt. Here's a pic when it arrived, it's still the same but a lot fatter:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is that all the substrate you are going to offer it?
Being that its a sling...for it to feel safe & secure in its enclosure its going to need more substrate if it desides to burrow..

In fact.. If you offer it more sub. I bet it will burrow.. Most slings do.. Its their way of feeling safe...

winwin

Arachnoknight
Is that all the substrate you are going to offer it?
Being that its a sling...for it to feel safe & secure in its enclosure its going to need more substrate if it desides to burrow..

In fact.. If you offer it more sub. I bet it will burrow.. Most slings do.. Its their way of feeling safe...
It seems to be ok, eats well but i'll just add a bit more. But not too much as this would defeat the purpose of the experiment.