C. darlingi breeding question

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Guys,

I mated my C. darlingi last Nov 28 and Dec 5 with successful inserts on both occassions. In the last week of January, she stayed under her burrow, something that was unusual as she used to stay out int the open.

I then noticed that there was a thick white webbing that she was stepping on. Her abdomen got smaller, and I cannot find an exuvium/molt. I was stupid for looking for a white ball, but after I read the C. marshalli breeding reports, I noticed they don't roll up their sacs. I suspect she laid a sac, but I'm not too sure.

This morning she went out in the open. Gave her an adult male lateralis and she grabbed it and ate it. Is this a sign that the slings are about to come out already? Is there anything I need to do? Her enclosure is kept in a cooler and darker place in the house.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
How cool are you talking?

you may want to remove her, while there are no spiderlings around.

at the vary least place screening over the top of the enclosure to prevent the spiderlings from escaping ( I was catching P. murinus for weeks after this happened to me)

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How cool are you talking?

you may want to remove her, while there are no spiderlings around.

at the vary least place screening over the top of the enclosure to prevent the spiderlings from escaping ( I was catching P. murinus for weeks after this happened to me)
Thank you sir for your reply. Actually she's housed in a glass cube enclosure with a screen top mounted on wood so I'm not too worried about escapism. This is where she is housed in. The middle square top opening is sealed with screen for air passage.

In this species, I would assume that there were incidents when mom ate her babies?

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
just an update and another question. Just today i saw slings in the first instar crawl out. Do I just leave mom in there? If I take her out i would have to disturb the babies and destroy the webbings and tunnel. Is she prone to eating the slings?

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats.
Mum will be safe to leave with these nymphs however you should consider how you are going to remove either the slings (once they arrive) or mum. At some point its likely you'll experience cannibilism so you'll need to rehouse them separately. As this genus is renowned for double sacs the slings are likely to become an issue with any future nymphs.

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Congrats.
Mum will be safe to leave with these nymphs however you should consider how you are going to remove either the slings (once they arrive) or mum. At some point its likely you'll experience cannibilism so you'll need to rehouse them separately. As this genus is renowned for double sacs the slings are likely to become an issue with any future nymphs.
Thank you. Well, I tried to guide the mommy out by using a brush last Sunday when I saw her out, but she immediately ran inside the burrow. I figured I'd let her be with her kids for a while so as not to disturb her and the babies.

I hope what I'm doing is correct.

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
how big is your female when you mated it ? I have a 3" one but im not sure if its too young to mate.

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
how big is your female when you mated it ? I have a 3" one but im not sure if its too young to mate.
Stretched legs she was over 5" DLS. I'll try and shoot a photo with a bottlecap for reference.

Anyway, me and my friends got the mommy out last night so I left the poor babies all by themselves with no nanny... huhuhu

Saw her this morning and I think she's not too happy about what we did.

johnloz

Arachnopeon
kababayan...i hope those babies will soon fly to cebu hehehe...congratulations bro