c.darlingi 1cm sling

Trevis

Arachnopeon
Guys i got a c.darlingi sling few days ago,it seems like the substrate a bit moist but not super wet coz i notice the sling keep stay on the side of the tank but not on the ground...and 2 days he refuse to eat mealworm pieces,whats the problem here?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It's likely in premolt. It looks a lot darker than normal, doesn't it? Once a sling starts to refuse food, then leave it be until it molts. Be sure to wait about a week before offering food again.

Trevis

Arachnopeon
It's likely in premolt. It looks a lot darker than normal, doesn't it? Once a sling starts to refuse food, then leave it be until it molts. Be sure to wait about a week before offering food again.
The abdomen is the same color as its leg and carapace is it darlingi sling in nature dark in color i mean the whole body...also how about it climbing tge side of tank?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
The abdomen is the same color as its leg and carapace is it darlingi sling in nature dark in color i mean the whole body...also how about it climbing tge side of tank?
If you recently rehoused it, then yes, that's completely normal. I'm pretty sure that it's in a new home, yes? And yeah, C. darlingi are naturally dark, but they get almost black when they're in premolt. Is it plump?

Trevis

Arachnopeon
If you recently rehoused it, then yes, that's completely normal. I'm pretty sure that it's in a new home, yes? And yeah, C. darlingi are naturally dark, but they get almost black when they're in premolt. Is it plump?
So its not because of the moist substrate right? The abdomen is tge same size of tge carapace not plump:(

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
The give it a few days. It's not starving to death, it's probably just trying to acclimate. Seriously, just leave it completely alone for a few days. Don't pick it up, don't try to feed it, don't mess with it other than watering. Then try to feed and let us know how it goes.

Trevis

Arachnopeon
Ok tgx:)
The give it a few days. It's not starving to death, it's probably just trying to acclimate. Seriously, just leave it completely alone for a few days. Don't pick it up, don't try to feed it, don't mess with it other than watering. Then try to feed and let us know how it goes.
Ok,i will update after few days...thx

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
So its not because of the moist substrate right? The abdomen is tge same size of tge carapace not plump:(

The problem is moist substrate; I've bred/raised many Ceratogyrus. That kills them at all sizes. Get it on dry substrate now before you lose it. If you don't have dry substrate, put the spider in a empty deli cup while you put a fan on the substrate to dry it out. Ceratogyrus are always hungry, are ferocious eaters. When they don't eat, they're either fat and premolt, or something's wrong.

Trevis

Arachnopeon
The problem is moist substrate; I've bred/raised many Ceratogyrus. That kills them at all sizes. Get it on dry substrate now before you lose it. If you don't have dry substrate, put the spider in a empty deli cup while you put a fan on the substrate to dry it out. Ceratogyrus are always hungry, are ferocious eaters. When they don't eat, they're either fat and premolt, or something's wrong.
Is this happen to most ow?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'm going to have to disagree on that one. While they do need less damp than other slings, bone dry substrate could be a terrible idea depending on where the OP lives. You have to remember that you live in a very humid environment, you can get away with that husbandry. I'd kill for that. However, those of us in arid environments have to keep all slings on damp substrate. Once they reach the juvenile stage, it's a different story entirely.

Trevis

Arachnopeon
Is this happen to most ow?
I'm going to have to disagree on that one. While they do need less damp than other slings, bone dry substrate could be a terrible idea depending on where the OP lives. You have to remember that you live in a very humid environment, you can get away with that husbandry. I'd kill for that. However, those of us in arid environments have to keep all slings on damp substrate. Once they reach the juvenile stage, it's a different story entirely.
I just change to a dryer substrate but not too moist now,i think before this the substrate is super damp now is better....for now every sling i get in future i will make sure all the substrate is dry first before i drop in few drops of water to make it half moist half dry on the safe side....

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Where do you live? As in, what state? My entire argument hinges on where you live. Poec54 lives in a very humid environment, and I live in a very dry environment. Our husbandry tends to diverge quite a bit because of that. To be clear, I wasn't saying that he's wrong - I'm saying that he could be wrong depending on who he's giving advice to.

Humidity is probably the most difficult part of this hobby simply because we can't advise you on how to keep it. This part of keeping is a bit of trial and error. Just remember, there is no tarantula that enjoys a stuffy cage.

cold blood

Staff member
I've raised all my Ceratogryus on dry sub with a water dish, and most were actually received in fall or winter, which means dry air as the furnace ran all winter. Almost all slings need moist sub to a point, but IME that's not the case with Ceratogryus.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Where do you live? As in, what state? My entire argument hinges on where you live. Poec54 lives in a very humid environment, and I live in a very dry environment. Our husbandry tends to diverge quite a bit because of that. To be clear, I wasn't saying that he's wrong - I'm saying that he could be wrong depending on who he's giving advice to.

We're wet in the summer, our rainy season. Other than those 4 months, we're fairly dry for the other 8. In the winter, with the usual lack of rain and running a heater many nights, humidity can drop pretty low even in Florida.

Trevis

Arachnopeon

Humidity is probably the most difficult part of this hobby simply because we can't advise you on how to keep it. This part of keeping is a bit of trial and error. Just remember, there is no tarantula that enjoys a stuffy cage.
Im now live in malaysia,so i just damp half the substrate i mean slightly moist not super wet and leave half dry,will tat be fine? And i just notice my darlingi sling making a web and continue stay at the side of tube....maybe it is still new?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Im now live in malaysia,so i just damp half the substrate i mean slightly moist not super wet and leave half dry,will tat be fine? And i just notice my darlingi sling making a web and continue stay at the side of tube....maybe it is still new?
Well then yeah, you don't need to moisten at all. That's exactly what I've been saying. You live in a very humid environment, no need to moisten at all.

Trevis

Arachnopeon
Well then yeah, you don't need to moisten at all. That's exactly what I've been saying. You live in a very humid environment, no need to moisten at all.
Haha yea the bit of moist part is for them to drink right?since i dont sprinkle water drop on the side...just moist the substrate....

cold blood

Staff member
Haha yea the bit of moist part is for them to drink right?since i dont sprinkle water drop on the side...just moist the substrate....
Don't moisten the substrate for a Ceratogryus!! Put it in a 16oz deli cup and add a water dish.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor

That will kill the spider. If it's moist enough for it to drink from, it's way too moist for that species.