C cyaneopubesnens heat question

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
what is the absolute lowest temp a GBB can be kept at. During the day it shouldnt be a prob because my house reaches atleast 72, its just at nigh it can go down to 60-65...Until summer this is going to be how it is. Will this be a problem?

my rosie and .p terror are at this temp with no problems yet.

just wondering

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thats pretty low. they may survive, but they wont flourish.

can you buy a red heat lamp or something to keep the temps up 24 hours a day? just make sure not to get it too close to the enclosures or it will overheat them and dry them up.

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i could try, also, since im looking to get a sling, how should i go about heating its enclosure?

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Paladin
what is the absolute lowest temp a GBB can be kept at. During the day it shouldnt be a prob because my house reaches atleast 72, its just at nigh it can go down to 60-65...Until summer this is going to be how it is. Will this be a problem?

my rosie and .p terror are at this temp with no problems yet.

just wondering
I don't know what the conversion is but no T should go under 16c for more than three to four hours, the results can be bad, very bad. Best way to go is to find out the relative temps in the area a particular T lives. Rosies will handle the cold better than practically any other T (except maybe Selenocosmia himilayana, it's amazing where those T's are found) so don't guage temps from this spider.

Cheers,
Steve

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
other ways besides the lamp...(how much would that cost BTW?)

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: Re: C cyaneopubesnens heat question

Originally posted by Steve Nunn
I don't know what the conversion is but no T should go under 16c for more than three to four hours, the results can be bad, very bad. Best way to go is to find out the relative temps in the area a particular T lives. Rosies will handle the cold better than practically any other T (except maybe Selenocosmia himilayana, it's amazing where those T's are found) so don't guage temps from this spider.

Cheers,
Steve
Doesn't it get winter in T land? I mean, don't every spider have temps below 16c of 65f in the winter? :?

Ðennis

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: C cyaneopubesnens heat question

Originally posted by dennie
Doesn't it get winter in T land? I mean, don't every spider have temps below 16c of 65f in the winter? :?

Ðennis
Not all, but some do yes. Don't forget that T's burrow (with the rare exceptions). Some areas that T's inhabit can go below 0c (freezing) for a brief period, but deep in the burrows the temp will sit on a constant average of about 22c. To determine this all you have to do is look where T's live (on average). Tropical to subtropical regions, where the ground temp sits on a nice constant, even though the air above ground level fluctuates, sometimes dramatically in contrast.

Cheers,
Steve

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My E. campestratus has survived temps of 50 - 55 F, with no harm. It was shipped to me in November, and even though the heatpack didn't work very well , and it was about 55F , it was just fine. I also had to leave home for a weekend, and underestimated how cool it would get in my bedroom, and so I underheated the pzb's tank. When I got home, the tank was about 50F, and I had been away for 3 days. The T survived with no apparant harm, and is healthy and eating today. So in my opinion, cold tolerance varies with the species. Pzb's are from a fairly temperate grasslands region, where if they're anything like the US prairies,I assume it gets pretty cool in the winter .

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Venom
My E. campestratus has survived temps of 50 - 55 F, with no harm. Pzb's are from a fairly temperate grasslands region, where if they're anything like the US prairies,I assume it gets pretty cool in the winter .
PZB's are from Paraguay, which is subtropical to temperate climate. This from BBC weather: The northwestern part of the country lies entirely within the tropics and has a typical tropical climate with hot summers, warm winters, and most of its rainfall in the hottest months between October and March. The southeastern half of the country has Temperatures a little lower in all months, but the summers are sufficiently hot and wet to be typically tropical. Paraguay is entirely landlocked and is situated between 18° and 28° S.

Now given it's location, climate and weather, then add the fact that E. camp's burrow in native habitat and I'd safely say these spiders live in an average ground temp of about 22c all year round. You may have let your spider get way below that and it survived, but I'm telling you it's not a good thing to do. Your spider didn't have the option of a deep burrow to escape those temps whether it liked it or not (such as it has in the wild). It may have survived, but those conditions were certainly not natural for that particular species.

Cheers,
Steve

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I play it safe. I keep all our spider babies at about 80 dgrees with good humidity.
Cept the T.Blondi which I keep at between 85-90 which was what every site I've read seems to recomend. Huge humidity but nice airflow.
I myself Hate to be cold and I'm warm blooded.
I guess I'm odd but if I'm uncomfortable when I'm cold I can't very well make my critters be in conditions they arn't comfortable with.
Just.
Think of someone sitting you on your porch nekid in the dead of winter for a couple of hours or a couple of days.
I know alot of folks don;t Think of their T's along those terms but Here they are Pets, and family members.
They just have more legs.

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Nixy

Think of someone sitting you on your porch nekid in the dead of winter for a couple of hours or a couple of days.
I know alot of folks don;t Think of their T's along those terms but Here they are Pets, and family members.
Sort of like when my uncle came to stay with us.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL Tranz.

I'm a sleep walker...
Always wandered in my sleep and found myself in a pair of panties and an old holie T'shirt on my front porch in Jan. Snow and ice.
Talk about a Cold behind.

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Nixy
I play it safe. I keep all our spider babies at about 80 dgrees with good humidity.
Cept the T.Blondi which I keep at between 85-90 which was what every site I've read seems to recomend. Huge humidity but nice airflow.
I myself Hate to be cold and I'm warm blooded.
I guess I'm odd but if I'm uncomfortable when I'm cold I can't very well make my critters be in conditions they arn't comfortable with.
Just.
I know, but T.s are cold blooded and can have their temp dropped. Even so, at what point do you draw the line? All of them flourish at different temps but do each of them have a specific degree where they just roll over and die?

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by JDK
I know, but T.s are cold blooded and can have their temp dropped. Even so, at what point do you draw the line? All of them flourish at different temps but do each of them have a specific degree where they just roll over and die?
Yes I know they are cold blooded but that doesn't mean they have to be kept Cold.

I went for a middle high ground to keep them happy.
They eat well.
Move around well.
Seem healthy. Look healthy.

So I'm going for a being healthy thing.

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i understand that a small kritter keeper is too large for a 1" sling but will it work with a small heat pad under it?

if so how deep does the substrate have to bbe so that the sling doesnt fry?

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Paladin
i understand that a small kritter keeper is too large for a 1" sling but will it work with a small heat pad under it?

if so how deep does the substrate have to bbe so that the sling doesnt fry?
I would not consider a "Mini Kritter Keeper", 6L x 3.5W x 4 H, too small for a 1-inch sling, as long as you include a small hide within it. It's first molt it will get a lot bigger. They usually recommend attaching a heating pad to one side of the keeper to give the T a choice and to avoid over-heating. If you fill it up with soil 2+ inches, then the pad can be heating the soil on one side.

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
GBB habitant.

Hi.

IME and what I've read the GBB is very "hardy" ( nearly Usambara hardy) and it lives in the slopes/borders between the grasslands and sides of mountains in Venezuela.
I think I read this from a recent visit Rick West did last year checking these T's out.

The temp varies a lot in these areas, from stone-bone dry to pretty cold at night sometimes higher up.

I have had my GBB since it was so small, about a 1/2 - 3/4 inch, back in August last year, so it could escape through the slits in the plastic Pet Keeper cages, so I had to tape them up from the inside.
Now this GBB is about 2 - 3 + inches big/"small" and thrives super.:)

It just lost the "baby" colors, going to blue on legs and the more "orange" color on carapace.

I have an electrical heater that goes up to about 75F and then shuts down and starts after a while and go on like that and the temp hits low 60 - 65 ( very drafty room) as rule rather than exception before it starts again and the T's thrive with no problem.

My point is that I think even if the temp should hit 55F it would not be a disaster for this T occasionally IMHO, of course not all the time :)

Kenny

Last edited:

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok cool, so what size KK should i get, the next size up?

also, kenny, when did you purchase your GBB exactly? i would like to know for just a bit of refrence.

thanks

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Size

Hi

Well,, some might say, it is probably true that the way I kept mine is a little to "big" sized keeper, but I bought the smallest Pet Keeper plastic cage and put one small driftwood log on the substrate, junglemix, kept it bonedry, waterdish with water in there all the time, and I must say that the way this T seacherd for the prey from the size when I got it just made it easy to find it's prey and this T started to take pretty big crickets early, already at 1 - 1 1/2 inch I gave it big ones.
I dare to say it's only my Usamabara that beats this one when it comes to prey and size.:D

The other day it took a cricket about 2 times the size of the opisthosoma. I don't feed it soo often now , but when I do it gets a "treat":)

The date I don't have exactly, but I know to 100% that it was mid August 2002.

I'll try to sex it now the 1 of March.

Kenny

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nixy "Kritter keepers..."

I buy the big one and two gallon tubs of pretzles and cheese balls for my twins...

Clean them, delable them, decorate them, add a few Nicely made airholes.....

Insta viv and my s'lings Love them.
Humidity is easy to keep up. They have room, they hold heat well when placed in a higher spot in the room (mine are on top of the big vivs I have for the big spiders)

No worries.
heres the one for my Versicolor...

Nope, it's nothing fancy and didn't cost what a kritter keeper does, but it's effective and I have tons of them...

http://www.geocities.com/motherbird717/xenix.html