C. cyaneopubescens Sling transfer

spacemonkeyjon

Arachnopeon
Doing my fist ever transfer. Of any sling or T for that matter. Been watching lots of videos. And looking at all the great advice on here . I was just wondering if anyone had any tips that would help.

Thanks
Jon

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Have it's new home set up beforehand. For caution's sake, do the transfer in a larger container. Do the transfer in an open area where the T can't hide on you and disappear forever. Have a catch cup on hand. If it's a small sling container, and you can just coax the T from one enclosure to the other, do that. If not, get it into a cup and transfer it from there. For the actual transfer, use a paintbrush or something similar (not your hands) to gently touch it's abdomen to coax it where you need it to go. Be patient and don't make and swift movements to avoid having the T bolt on you. But always be prepared for the unexpected. Good luck with the rehouse! :)

spacemonkeyjon

Arachnopeon
I have the new enclosure ready to go . I am so worried that it will bolt on me, that when I feed it I put it current enclose in a big clear container before I open it up.
funny. I have had snakes most of my life. and this is the only thing I am worried about escaping on me lol.

thank you for the tips PidderPeets.:happy:

cold blood

Staff member
if its a sling, its literally a 5 second job...12 seconds if it bolts in the wrong direction....dont over think this, its a simple procedure. Do it in the tub or an open area so you have space.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I have the new enclosure ready to go . I am so worried that it will bolt on me, that when I feed it I put it current enclose in a big clear container before I open it up.
funny. I have had snakes most of my life. and this is the only thing I am worried about escaping on me lol.

thank you for the tips PidderPeets.:happy:
No problem. Just had to rehouse two of my Ts and I'll likely have to rehouse another when it molts within the next few weeks. And as cold blood said, it should be a fairly quick and simple process. So just keep calm and confident and it should be fine. And one of my friends is similar in the sense that he has snakes and will handle them no problem, but he won't mess with spiders. I'm trying to turn him. :rofl:

spacemonkeyjon

Arachnopeon
The tub idea sounds great thank you .:)Definitely going to try it that way .

Last edited:

spacemonkeyjon

Arachnopeon
No problem. Just had to rehouse two of my Ts and I'll likely have to rehouse another when it molts within the next few weeks. And as cold blood said, it should be a fairly quick and simple process. So just keep calm and confident and it should be fine. And one of my friends is similar in the sense that he has snakes and will handle them no problem, but he won't mess with spiders. I'm trying to turn him. :rofl:
Thanks everyone. Super quick and awsome advice.

I can't wait to see how my new T hobby hobby go's. Feeling alot better about a easy rehouse. It is in a good size deli cup now . But made him or her a new home. The deli cup has a kinda cotton screen covering the holes. Keep thinking it might break out ..... probably over thinking it . The new one it just lots of holes tiny holes on the top and some on the side.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
if its a sling, its literally a 5 second job...12 seconds if it bolts in the wrong direction....dont over think this, its a simple procedure. Do it in the tub or an open area so you have space.
Agreed 100% - Do it in the bath, then you have a clear open space for the unexpected, always expect it though, slings are "usually" no problem, good luck with the transfer but I doubt you'll need it. All should go well as long as you stay calm and collected, be sure to have a catch cup to hand, then you're good to go.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
You've gotten good advice.
Most of my slings were in a small enough sling cup, I could literally set old cup inside new home and gently prod them to walk out into their new enclosure.

Many will do a side--by-side transfer, some will ride the small paintbrush bristles over to new home. Sometimes, if whole substrate will come out as one clump -- I can simply put that clump in new home (this usually happened for me when I wasn't trying -- when I wanted it to happen (OBT) it failed. lol)

1) Open space is nice so you can keep T in your vision range should they do a runner. Laying a balled up towel on floor can be helpful - often a T will seek shelter there (and be easier to recapture)
2) Inside a larger container can work -- it's good to have a second level of containment before a runner finds the floor (aka freedom).
3) Bathtubs need drain covered and have any room heat-a/c vents covered plus towel under the door in case it makes distance -- GBBs can be fast and you must prepare in case it gets out of bathtub.

Keep a sling-sized catch-cup ready, obviously.

The only difficult rehousing I recall, (not GBB) was a 2+" sling in a 16 oz deli cup who absolutely refused to come out of burrow. I had tried to him rehouse sooner, but he just wouldn't cooperate with me. I had gently poked and prodded but he stayed in burrow and his substrate refused to come out as one clump.
His burrow was easily identified and he had excavated whole bottom of cup so that cup bottom was completely devoid of substrate. By the time he was 2+" -- I had no choice but to force a rehouse (and not to a juvie container as planned but to his larger permanent home!)
So, I set his deli cup inside his new KK enclosure. And I shamefully admit, I flooded him out with water. He came to top of deli cup quickly enough then, from there it was a simple matter of removing old deli cup and putting lid on hew home. Not my recommended way of doing things nor my proudest moment. :( But... effective.

I doubt you will have any problems with a GBB sling. Most anything that can go wrong can be worked around. Like cold blood said -- prolly take you only a few seconds. lol

Devin B

Arachnobaron
The main thing to do is keep calm. As long as you prepared everything will go fine. I use a bendy straw to poke at my T's when transfering them. The bend helps reaching into tight spaces. I think that's all I can add everything else has been said. Good luck

spacemonkeyjon

Arachnopeon
Thank you very much everyone for all the great advice. The rehouse went great, like it was stated earlier. Took like 5 min .

Thanks again
Jon

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
And I shamefully admit, I flooded him out
@Ellenantula, sometimes that's what needs to be done, no shame on your behalf, it was that or never re-housed him, you made the right decision, for the spider and for yourself. I've seen this done quite often with difficult re-houses.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Thank you very much everyone for all the great advice. The rehouse went great, like it was stated earlier. Took like 5 min.
Glad the deed is done and it went well. :)

@Ellenantula, sometimes that's what needs to be done, no shame on your behalf, it was that or never re-housed him, you made the right decision, for the spider and for yourself. I've seen this done quite often with difficult re-houses.
Thanks.
I know it had to be done; but I still felt cruel doing it. I put enough water in bottom (¼ inch) that he climbed up into his tunnel chute -- but he just would not surface for me! So I kept gently pouring water until he was finally topside. After that – easy peasy to walk him into new enclosure. (I am not sure, but I believe this was my G pulchripes rehousing).

spacemonkeyjon

Arachnopeon
Thank you Ellenantula. She she tried to make a run for it. But I had to catch cup ready. Feel so much better now that I have a transfer under my belt.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Doing my fist ever transfer. Of any sling or T for that matter. Been watching lots of videos. And looking at all the great advice on here . I was just wondering if anyone had any tips that would help.

Thanks
Jon
Carefully

Google up Bag Transfer Method