C. Cyaneopubescens Sling Question

joly17

Arachnopeon
Hey All,

New T owner here and i had a Quick Question about my new GBB sling. Is it normal for them to hang out at the top of their enclosure like this? Any changes to the contents of the enclosure that could coax him down off of the top? Thanks in advance!

-Jeff

Attachments

boina

Lady of the mites
This seems really a bit wet. You know that a GBB is a desert species, right? Of course, slings do need a bit more moisture, but your enclosure seems to be soaking wet - I may be wrong, though, it's hard to see from a pic. And a GBB is a terrestrial T that likes to web a lot and can deal with a little more height than other terrestrials - I can't really decide what your enclosure is supposed to be. For a terrestrial enclosure it's definitely too high and for an arboreal it doesn't have anything to climb on. So, is there a hide in there? It should have a hide and some structures to achor it's web on - sticks, chop sticks, the like.

But first of all it needs to be a lot dryer - not completely dry, since it is still a sling, but only slightly moist and not soaking wet. The sling is very likely trying to escape the wet substrate and find some dryer air. Also, I'd definitely prefer some cross ventilation - you only seem to have ventilation at the top. GBBs will not live long if the humidity is too high.

joly17

Arachnopeon
This seems really a bit wet. You know that a GBB is a desert species, right? Of course, slings do need a bit more moisture, but your enclosure seems to be soaking wet - I may be wrong, though, it's hard to see from a pic. And a GBB is a terrestrial T that likes to web a lot and can deal with a little more height than other terrestrials - I can't really decide what your enclosure is supposed to be. For a terrestrial enclosure it's definitely too high and for an arboreal it doesn't have anything to climb on. So, is there a hide in there? It should have a hide and some structures to achor it's web on - sticks, chop sticks, the like.

But first of all it needs to be a lot dryer - not completely dry, since it is still a sling, but only slightly moist and not soaking wet. The sling is very likely trying to escape the wet substrate and find some dryer air. Also, I'd definitely prefer some cross ventilation - you only seem to have ventilation at the top. GBBs will not live long if the humidity is too high.
I got this enclosure with the T from Jamies Tarantulas, I have a deli container with a screen mesh top which could offer more ventilation and more ground area. I'm just worried having too much space might stress out the sling

boina

Lady of the mites
That enclosure is made for arboreals and you don't really have an arboreal you could work with it, though, just replace some of the wet substrate with dry stuff and mix it to get a medium moisture level. Raise the substrate level a bit, too, so it won't hurt itself from a fall and put a few sticks in. The main point is: get it dryer - and rather sooner than later. If my estimation of the moisture level is right that's really not good.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm just worried having too much space might stress out the sling
Where's the logic in this, when they live in the wild??? There's nothing wrong with a larger setup, provided you have PLENTY of insects to eat AND PLENTY of cover for the T.

Your setup is too wet. These Ts live in very xeric conditions.

joly17

Arachnopeon
Used some dry leftover substrate and added it to the deli container I mentioned. Pushed some cork into it to make a hide for the sling. This container only has top ventilation but its a lot more than the previous one. new enclosure.jpg New enlcosure 2.jpg

Attachments

joly17

Arachnopeon
Where's the logic in this, when they live in the wild??? There's nothing wrong with a larger setup, provided you have PLENTY of insects to eat AND PLENTY of cover for the T.

Your setup is too wet. These Ts live in very xeric conditions.
Makes sense when you put it that way lol, I read somewhere that too much space is bad since they might not be able to find their food or something like that. switched out wet substrate for dry and gave a lot more room. thanks for your input.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
too much space is bad since they might not be able to find their food or something like that
Well this is not worded exactly true. If you drop a T into a 100 gallon tank it will live and THRIVE, IF you provide it with plenty of predator-prey interactions, like in the wild. If you don't, it will die.

joly17

Arachnopeon
Well this is not worded exactly true. If you drop a T into a 100 gallon tank it will live and THRIVE, IF you provide it with plenty of predator-prey interactions, like in the wild. If you don't, it will die.
Okay, so its really just making sure theres enough prey per X sq inches type of thing. thanks a lot. I tried researching as much as possible before actually getting a T but I guess theres always going to be a learning curve

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Okay, so its really just making sure theres enough prey per X sq inches type of thing. thanks a lot. I tried researching as much as possible before actually getting a T but I guess theres always going to be a learning curve
The learning is steep for some people, simply some people are not detail oriented enough and shouldn't be owning pets. Their pets die due to the learning curve. SO research well in advance BEFORE buying. There's no rush, GBBs are common enough.

It's also about providing enough cage cover so they feel secure. If you drop a T into ANY size container w/out places to hide, they will feel threatened, just like all animals out in the open.

boina

Lady of the mites
You new setup looks a lot better :). And there isn't too much space either, even if you drop just a single small cricket in there - GBBs are good hunters and it shouldn't have any trouble with an enclosure this size :)

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
Awesome improvement in the enclosure. As Viper said some ground cover would lessen the T's stress. Something that it could anchor webs to would be great as these T's are known for making use of them. I got the GBB below about a year ago as a sling. It is now aprox 3". I placed it in the enclosure below on Jan 8th and it ran up the walls for a day or two then it webbed itself in it's hide. On Feb 5th it came out after molting and about a week after that started webbing what you see here.

joly17

Arachnopeon
Awesome improvement in the enclosure. As Viper said some ground cover would lessen the T's stress. Something that it could anchor webs to would be great as these T's are known for making use of them. I got the GBB below about a year ago as a sling. It is now aprox 3". I placed it in the enclosure below on Jan 8th and it ran up the walls for a day or two then it webbed itself in it's hide. On Feb 5th it came out after molting and about a week after that started webbing what you see here.

That is awesome! going to go find some small sticks to poke into the substrate! That is a beautiful GBB!

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
Thanks, you're going to enjoy yours they have a number of great traits.

....and yes those are plastic chopsticks (cut in half)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
That enclosure is made for arboreals and you don't really have an arboreal you could work with it, though, just replace some of the wet substrate with dry stuff and mix it to get a medium moisture level. Raise the substrate level a bit, too, so it won't hurt itself from a fall and put a few sticks in. The main point is: get it dryer - and rather sooner than later. If my estimation of the moisture level is right that's really not good.
It is way too wet I agree. The setup on that works for terrestrials when the vent is on the lid which is on top. I started out raising two terrestrial slings in those and they worked out good.
Used some dry leftover substrate and added it to the deli container I mentioned. Pushed some cork into it to make a hide for the sling. This container only has top ventilation but its a lot more than the previous one. View attachment 233044 View attachment 233045
I do like this setup much better though.

Cool, I've not tried the Popsicle sticks yet. Here is my juvie male about 2 weeks after I put him in this enclosure I tricked out using bamboo skewers. I haven't seen him on the ground since he made the hammock.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Plenty of good advice here. I have 3 1.5" slings and two like to stay towards the top and one likes it more on the ground. My two AFs spend their time on the ground but will climb the sides to connect webbing from the top of the enclosure to the bottom.

joly17

Arachnopeon
It is way too wet I agree. The setup on that works for terrestrials when the vent is on the lid which is on top. I started out raising two terrestrial slings in those and they worked out good.

I do like this setup much better though.

Cool, I've not tried the Popsicle sticks yet. Here is my juvie male about 2 weeks after I put him in this enclosure I tricked out using bamboo skewers. I haven't seen him on the ground since he made the hammock.
That looks awesome! Love the idea once mine is bigger ill probably dedicate an area of a bigger enclosure to mimic this hammock idea.