C. cyaneopubescens Pairing Log

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
And so it begins.

The male was provided by @Otis Driftwood, and needless to say, the male arrived safely. Why "needless to say"? Because of this:
IMG_0845.JPG
(schnauzer for reference)

Excessive packaging, but I suppose too much is better than too little. He did a great job packaging the spider, he clearly did his research. He had a heat sink and all. There was a bit of condensation from the cold pack (it did not leak), but that's to be expected.
IMG_0846.JPG

The container was a Really Useful Box! Kudos to him for that. The male was packaged very well, although I didn't get a picture of it. The male bolted out of the box as soon as I took off the top paper towel, so at least he's lively.
IMG_0847.JPG

And here's the not-so-little guy. He's quite large for a male, spot on at 5". Very active, very healthy, and clearly strong. The boy's got some good genes.
IMG_0848.JPG ------ IMG_0851.JPG

And here's the soon to be couple. I will be pairing them on Friday and taking a video of it, which I'll be posting here. Finger's crossed!
IMG_0852.JPG

Note to the mods: This is not a review of Otis, nor did I buy this male. Just clarifying for the sake of the TOS.

elysium

Arachnosquire
Look forward to keeping up with this thread/blog! How do you plan on doing the pairing? Male in the females enclosure, or are you putting both enclosures in a bigger container? Any shark tanking prior to the actual pairing or straight to business?

I have never attempted something like this, and am ways away from even thinking about it, but I always find it interesting to read other folks' experiences.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I don't plan on shark tanking, no. Especially after this morning. I woke up halfway through the night and decided to check on them - they were actually drumming between the enclosures. They both certainly want this to happen.

I'm going to be dropping the male into the females enclosure, on the opposite side of wherever she is. I want them to approach each other on their own.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Well, that was a waste of time.

Don't sit in suspense, the male is fine. After two an a half hours of doing his best to mimic a rock (with light tapping every half hour or so), he finally started slowly walking towards my female. She turned towards him (no tapping from her), and he simply turned and started walking out of the enclosure.

We're going to try this again on Sunday, I guess.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince

Don't sit in suspense, the male is fine. After two an a half hours of doing his best to mimic a rock (with light tapping every half hour or so), he finally started slowly walking towards my female. She turned towards him (no tapping from her), and he simply turned and started walking out of the enclosure.

He was like "I want this, I really do" then "eh I'm going to go. Cheers."

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Maybe he thought she was ugly???

Or perhaps she didnt shower that day???

Give him a few beers, he'll take on anything then lmao

petkokc

Arachnosquire
Good luck man, Ill be on the same path in a few months...waiting for my male to mature, he is in a premolt but needs to molt at least twice (he is 3 inches currently)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Okay, is this normal? I get the male in her enclosure, and every time, he has begun to tap. However, he always makes his way out of the enclosure, even tapping while he's doing it.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Sounds like he's trying to save his ass.
That's really what I'm thinking. She hasn't drummed even once - like I said before, when she turned towards him, he actually high-tailed it out of the enclosure. Perhaps she's simply not receptive?

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Yeah, I don't think she's having any of it. Maybe she's decided that he's not drumming right or his pheromones are off. I sure haven't been in this hobby long enough so I'm just guessing. sdsnybny knows a LOT more than I do and you do, too.
I'd hate for your little man to get chomped:(

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer

I feel so unsure
As I take your hand
And lead you to the dance floor

:cool:

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That's really what I'm thinking. She hasn't drummed even once - like I said before, when she turned towards him, he actually high-tailed it out of the enclosure. Perhaps she's simply not receptive?
I've never paired Ts but have bred other critters (cichlids and snakes). Sometimes the initial introduction is flawed and one or both isn't interested at that specific time. Sometimes they get right to the business and sometimes they never want each other. I imagine the same thing applies but with a much smaller time frame to work with?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
They were drumming at each other when in their own boxes side by side no? She as well, if I read correctly. Maybe keep them like that for a few days?
I have no experience whatsoever with pairing T's, just thinking along. When you see her drumming back again, try again?

louise f

Arachnoangel
Okay, is this normal? I get the male in her enclosure, and every time, he has begun to tap. However, he always makes his way out of the enclosure, even tapping while he's doing it.
He is def trying to lure her away from her safe zone, so he is able to get away from her when he finished the job. ;) If she dont show any interest in him, dont and i mean just dont put him in there, because then he will end up as a snack for her. :D

And yeah it is all normal that he does that. :)