C.cyaneopubescens (GBB) bad molt

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Hi all,
So this afternoon I found my Gbb in a deathcurl. He/she molted two nights ago in a very very tight spot, so I was already a bit worried, but i'm having a bad case of the stomach flu, and trusting that spiders will be best in spidering, left it be.
Well, I guess that doesn't always go.It dried up wrong, probably because it decided to harden up in the same tight spot, which doesn't make sense at all, he has a big webbing castle to retreat to, but chose this instead.
It can move, but very wobbly, his motions are very stiff and awkward. Its abdomen is small/shriveled as well. Seeing this, I coaxed it over to the waterdish, to put its mouthparts in the water which he did. Now he is sitting on a wet spot next to the waterdish (spilled some), but is slow to respond.
I'm not sure what else to do. ICU doesn't seem right since this is an arid species. Temps were same as always, 20/22°C, nothing out of the ordinary. Bodylength is around 3/3,5 cm. Estimated DLS approx. 10cm.
I hope it pulls through but I doubt it.
:(. This feels crap, it is one of my two first slings, and had i think 1 or 2 molts to go to adult.:(
Pics:
IMG_20170131_142947.jpg IMG_20170131_142936.jpg IMG_20170131_142923.jpg

Edit: I know the pics are blurry, but it is the best I can do.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
What made you think it was a wet molt?

I hope it pulls through.
Because its legs are...wobbly, if it tries to move it's like the legs are noodles. They're not supporting its weight.
But this of course can also be due to the hardening up in a too tight spot. :(

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Because its legs are...wobbly, if it tries to move it's like the legs are noodles. They're not supporting its weight.
But this of course can also be due to the hardening up in a too tight spot. :(
Ahh, that could also be caused by not enough fluid to move them correctly.

Good luck, I hope it gets better.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Ahh, that could also be caused by not enough fluid to move them correctly.

Good luck, I hope it gets better.
That's what i thought as well, and the reason to put it near/halfway in the waterdish.
I don't want to disturb it too much, so i'll check on it later this evening.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I never bet against mother nature, might survive/might not. I've seen Ts come back from far worse that were "surely" going to die.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Update:
He or she is out of the curl and standing more straight. Movement is also improved. Still a little slow, but considering he/she molted two days ago, that's not weird. Fangs are red, so not hardened enough to feed, but it has had some water, abdomen looking better as well.

Nerve wrecking how fast these spiders can go from healthy to sick and better again :eek:
Not out of the woods yet I think, but definitely better.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Maybe this was another one of those instances where the T was to weak after molting to get to water, like with your Avicularia @viper69 ?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Maybe this was another one of those instances where the T was to weak after molting to get to water, like with your Avicularia @viper69 ?
Could be! In point of fact, not sure if they are too weak, or forgetful :D I had to water my 1.0 A. huriana a day ago after it molted.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
My stirmi molted in her hide, which is tight as can be. She just flopped out in weird positions for a few days and stayed in the hide for a full two weeks after molting. Once she came out she was good as new.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
My stirmi molted in her hide, which is tight as can be. She just flopped out in weird positions for a few days and stayed in the hide for a full two weeks after molting. Once she came out she was good as new.
I've had some of mine molt in the oddest positions and come out fine after days of stretching.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
It could be that the T wasn't hardened up enough to move around good after the molt. I say that mainly because you said it looked like she was moving around on noodles. When my B.albopilosum molted the last time she didn't move much at all for 5 days or so and was in some pretty odd positions. It was even longer before she was as active as before the molt. Some of my Avics have spent over a week in their web funnels stretched out funny before venturing down to get water of look for food.

Maybe it just needed more time to set itself right after a rough molt process.

Sana

Arachnoprince
It sounds like access to water and not constantly poking her was the key. Good job spider parenting.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It could be that the T wasn't hardened up enough to move around good after the molt. I say that mainly because you said it looked like she was moving around on noodles. When my B.albopilosum molted the last time she didn't move much at all for 5 days or so and was in some pretty odd positions. It was even longer before she was as active as before the molt. Some of my Avics have spent over a week in their web funnels stretched out funny before venturing down to get water of look for food.

Maybe it just needed more time to set itself right after a rough molt process.
This could very well be the case, or maybe a combo. Maybe it was in the position of a deathcurl because of the narrow space.
Not sure how to feel about this....proud because i got it to water quickly enough for it to survive, or stupid because i may have been risking damaging him because i coaxed him to go to the waterdish, when all he needed was a little more time....:shy:
He (im hoping to actually get a sex on this one via molt this time, not sure on gender yet), is sitting stretched out near the waterdish, with his palps in the waterdish. I think i need to refill it again before bed. He grew a lot in legspan after this molt.
Thanks for the support people, appreciate it!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
This could very well be the case, or maybe a combo. Maybe it was in the position of a deathcurl because of the narrow space.
Not sure how to feel about this....proud because i got it to water quickly enough for it to survive, or stupid because i may have been risking damaging him because i coaxed him to go to the waterdish, when all he needed was a little more time....:shy:
He (im hoping to actually get a sex on this one via molt this time, not sure on gender yet), is sitting stretched out near the waterdish, with his palps in the waterdish. I think i need to refill it again before bed. He grew a lot in legspan after this molt.
Thanks for the support people, appreciate it!
No need to worry about it too much. I'm glad it's starting to do better.