C. cyaneopubenscen behavior.

Sr. Chencho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Appox. three wks ago, I rehoused my M 3" Gbb from a med. KK to a 2.5 glass tank. Since, he has cornered himself in a web spun "cocoon" and has not emerged. When in the KK, he would sit on his cork bark and even stayed out when I did his reg. maint. and rarely dashed for his hide. I decided to give him more room and rehouse him. When intro. into the 2.5, he immediately went for the corner under plastic leaves glued onto a branch. I brushed him to the opp. end of the tank for him to explore his much needed space (or so I thought) but went right back to this corner. During the rehouse, I switched his sub. fr. potting soil/peat moss to fir/sphagnum/peat moss mix (Zilla)sold at Petco which is kept dry. Water dish and hide with same humidity levels 70-80% norm.room air. At feeding time, I have dropped the criks. on his web close to him. Recently, I found the live crik. I fed last Thurs. He has changed since I moved him, in that, I have not seen him out of this "cocoon", not even at night. Yestrday I dropped a crik. into his "cocoon" via a hole (hole already webbed in)and he quickly chased the crik out(he's alive and very active). Maybe premolt (3wks)? His premolts have nevr lasted this long. Should I move him back to his old KK? Or let him be 'till he emerges fr. his "holding cell"? In the mean time, I'll be standin by for all suggestions and advise. Attempted to post pics. but uploading took a super long time.
Fred:confused:

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Water dish and hide with same humidity levels 70-80% norm.room air. QUOTE]

Holy crap, That is WAY to humid for a GBB. Try to take it down a notch. Just leave the T be. It's probably premoult. The older it gets the longer premoult is.

good luck

jmhendric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thats wierd I rehoused my GBB a few weeks back and it totally webbed itself into a 2" clay pot. I haven't seen it since but I believe it is in premolt cuz my other 2 slings have molted in the past week:D

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would say that as long as the conditions are dry it should be fine...

70-80% humidity seems really high for indoors...

mikeymo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but there's no point posting a new topic when this one does just fine.

Last week i got a 3 inch Chromatopelma cyanopubescens. He ate the first night i got him but ever since then he has struck and killed 4 crickets but has failed to actually eat any of them. I know he isn't eating any of them because i'm constantly removing full cricket bodies every 24 hours. Any ideas???

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but there's no point posting a new topic when this one does just fine.

Last week i got a 3 inch Chromatopelma cyanopubescens. He ate the first night i got him but ever since then he has struck and killed 4 crickets but has failed to actually eat any of them. I know he isn't eating any of them because i'm constantly removing full cricket bodies every 24 hours. Any ideas???

Sounds like a premoult too. Mine kicks crix like a soccer ball across his tank when she's in premoult. It's quite entertaining actually !

mikeymo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sounds like a premoult too. Mine kicks crix like a soccer ball across his tank when she's in premoult. It's quite entertaining actually !
thanks for the speedy reply. I forgot to ask the dealer i bought it from when the last time it molted was. I guess i'll just wait on it. thanks again

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've found that 9 times out of 10, rehousing sends my Ts into premolt. It's weird. If they aren't immediately ready, they stop eating and molt soon after. Let them settle in and try a cricket in a week or two if they haven't molted by then.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
don't keep messing with a T, it's going to stay where it's most comfortable. If it doesn't want to explore, it doesn't want to explore. GBB's like to be kept pretty darn dry, heck, I rarely gave mine a water dish...it would be webbed over the next morning anyway :D

it does sound like possible premolt behavior...if it's abdomen isn't shriveled up then you don't need to worry about it not eating/drinking, so just let it hang out in its cocoon for a week or two and see what happens. GBB's are very hardy tarantulas :) I wouldn't worry about it croaking on you.

Sr. Chencho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Fellow Board Members

Thanks for all your responses. I will follow all advise and suggestions. I'm just concerned. Edesign, Appreciate the reassurance.
Fred

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
GBB don't need a water dish available constantly, I have raised some without a dish at all. Try offering a water dish once a week. Moving them to a new enclosure, as with any tarantula, can get them to go into premolt. Also, a new larger tank can cause natural behavior as in the wild. In the wild they make a burrow or create their own out of webbing to protect them from predators and feel a little more safe. A large container can cause this type of behavior as opposed to the old home where it felt no threat. Bottom line, don't worry, it is still natural behavior. This is the time of year when everything is molting too so it could just be that.

mitchell123

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The live on the edge of desert area's , but the get there humidity from the ocean so let the dirt dry and put a cup of water in it.