c. cyan icu

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
some of you may remember my c. cyanopubescens thread a few days back (you can find it here) who had damaged her chelicerae during a moult and i had to dump super glue on the wound. well, i thought she was doing okay, but yesterday (04/09) i noticed her "stumbling" around her enclosure. she progressively got worse, eventually deteriorating to the point of staying in the death curl. i could turn her over and i would barely get a response. i placed her on my scanner so i could get some pictures (alas, no digital camera here) and then placed her in an icu unit.

here are a few of the pictures. yes, the white spot is the superglue.

Attachments

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
anyhoo, i thought i had lost her. about an hour after placing her in the icu (and carefully monitoring her time spent on the radiator), she went from not moving or responding at all to spread out along the side of the icu container.

today she's drinking more and appears to be much, much better. she's quicker to respond to stimuli and seems to be taking it easy. anyway, my thanks to bill for giving me suggestions on how to work miracles, and also everyone else who has ever given information about or on icu units on these boards.

Tim R.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is so cool, glad she's doing better. That's what's nice about these boards.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What exactly is an "icu center" I assume it stands for intensive care unit, but what exactly would that entail for an ailing greenbottle? They hate humidity, so I'm inclined to think it isn't a super humid anti-dehydration container. What is it then?

Cronoss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm very glad she is ok.She shed once for me. with good results.
Maybe she got slightly damaged in the shipping.She was in the early stages of premolt.
Well anyways I'm glad everything looks good for.

Bryan

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Im glad to hear shes doing better. I hope she makes a full recovery. I had a pinktoe lose a fang in a molt. Somehow she didnt bleed to death, and still could eat. She grew a new fang in another molt. But she died anyway, from unknown causes.

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
thanks, guys.

bryan--i really dreaded telling you that i had killed the beautiful cyan you sent me...i really, really did. but luckily, she's doing much better! i plan on keeping her in there for one more day--just for safety's sake...

venom--basically, it's a deli dish that's large enough to hold the tarantula in the event that it wants to spread out. the deli dish has holes punched in it for air flow, and a moist paper towel covering the bottom (and sides, although i only place enough paper towel in to cover about 1/3 of the side). i place mine in a warm place--like my radiator. however, i am constantly watching to make sure it's not too hot, and my heat is turned down to "0" (my radiator still emits heat even when turned off, which is bothersome during the summer). i know ggb's don't like humidity, but it sure brought her back! maybe she's back because she got sick of being in such a humid environment?