C. crawshayi

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have searched for the info i need, as well as, reading various care sheets but can't find the exact answer to my question. However, i have been reading a ton of interesting info about these cool T's. i could read about them for probably a month and still find more info.

What is the best mixture (percentage or ratio) of sand and peat for a C. crawshayi? i've read that some added sand helps support their burrows. i need to rehouse my 2" sling and want to do it right. Do they actually need sand for their burrows? i'm going to wait until it fully recovers from its recent molt before rehousing but i want to be prepared ahead of time. These are awesome T's! :D Thanks so much!!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
50% peat and 50% peat works well. Its not neccessary to add any sand. Dont worry about a collapsing burrow. They have webbing to support it ;)

AfterTheAsylum

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
60% topsoil and 40% peat. I have found this to be the best mixture in my care of King Baboons. Topsoil has more benefits than peat when considering heat, consistency, and structure.

And webbing will not always hold up peat - this is why I switched to topsoil and peat. My girl had a good lot of collapsing burrows with peat.

Remember, there is no one way for care. What worked for Brian obviously didn't work for me.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Im using about 50/50 of peat & vermiculite. haven't had any collapsing yet.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i use cypress mulch and jungle earth substrate for my kings,(aswell for all of my ts)been useing this stuff since the beginning of time with no problems ever,works great:clap:

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I use 100% coco fibre/eco earth/ coir for my T's including my crawshayi and they do fine :)

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
I use 100% coco fibre/eco earth/ coir for my T's including my crawshayi and they do fine :)
Yup cocofiber for me too..

I usually throw in a handful of walnut 'sand' and peat to every two bricks of cocofiber just to add some other texture.

I've had a few collapses but nothing major.. and never life threatening to the T.

I have lots of baboons but only one King

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use 60/40 peat-vermiculite for all my T's and it has worked pretty fine for me, but with my C crawshayi 1.5" and my H lividum 2.5" I mixed 50/50... :D

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use about 65% peat, 30% coco and about 5% vermiculite for my adult female CCs. I always have peat on hand, but if I didn't have coco or vermiculite at the time I'd just go with 100% peat. I pour a little bit of water to the bottom of the tank before putting in dirt, so it's most damp on the bottom. I'll keep adding less and less water as I build up the dirt in the tank so it holds shape while getting drier. I don think they really care as long as the substrate holds.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a mixture of sand, grey earth and black earth for all my African species except the west african species that I keep on black substrate because it absorb and hold better water.

The result give this and I see a major change in their behavior

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very nice setup Cedrik. I think I need to do some rethinking & rehousing soon.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks everyone. i have a nice set up ready for her (i hope...) when she recovers from her molt.

Cedrik, that is an awesome set up. i would definitely like to do something like that for mine when it gets bigger. Very cool & natural looking! :cool: