C. crawshayi observations

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
thought i would share some things about my crawshayi-
-has molted 5 times this year, went from 1" to ~3" legspan
-NEVER comes out of its 6" burrow
-keeps burrow closed at all times, i must open the entrance to give it prey, which is not recommended, but has contributed to its "fast" growth.
-i keep the soil bone dry, but it still has only accepted drops of water once!
-soon after every molt, it chews its cast exoskeleton, into a little ball, making it impossible to sex!
-can already stridulate loudly.
anybody else have something to share about C. crawshayi?

anthony2561

Banned
Old Timer
Is the abdomen big or small???????If its big its a female if small its a male, but just take it out of its hole and keep it on top of the dirt till it molts again and just pick it up as soon as it does.

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't know about these suggestions. First the size of the abdomen doesn't have anything to do with sex at the 3" mark IMO, secondly, taking an obligate burrower out of its burrow and wait for it to molt will be pretty stressful, since they need the protection of the burrow. But hey, that's just my opinion ;)
greetz,
Joost

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
it gets very plump before each molt, i am afraid it would be too stressed out if i did not allow it to have a burrow. Also it burrowed along the side of the container which is wrapped in black construction paper, so i can readily observe it whenever i want, it does not seem to web up the side of the container, so i can see it quite clearly. thanks for the suggestion though.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I have the same issues with my little girl :)
(spider, that is)
She stays burrowed 24/7, with few exceptions, she never drinks her water, and she has ignored prey for approx 5 months.
Her abdomen is plump, however, and she stridulates quite loudly when disturbed, so I'd have to say she's healthy, but very secretive

anthony2561

Banned
Old Timer
Well my spiders are a buncha a$$h*les they dont do much. All they do is sit around and do nothing but eat, also they dont like 2 go out of there hole in the ground home. So i took them out put a flower pot in and now they dont dig anymore and they arent stressed out they go around the tank and go up the sides in stuff, i think u should get a flower pot

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by jezzy607
thought i would share some things about my crawshayi-
-has molted 5 times this year, went from 1" to ~3" legspan
-NEVER comes out of its 6" burrow
-keeps burrow closed at all times, i must open the entrance to give it prey, which is not recommended, but has contributed to its "fast" growth.
-i keep the soil bone dry, but it still has only accepted drops of water once!
-soon after every molt, it chews its cast exoskeleton, into a little ball, making it impossible to sex!
-can already stridulate loudly.
anybody else have something to share about C. crawshayi?
Jezzy,
That sounds like your normal old king baboon habits. You can expect to never see your KB out of its burrow. Mine has not eaten in a month or so. When I checked on it last I was amazed in the lack of weight loss. The abdomen was nice and plump. It never drinks any water. I pretty much let the top soil dry out. I'm assuming that the burrow is moderately humid because it's sealed. I spray the tank with water every once in awhile. I wouldn't worry about him to much. They seem to be very hardy.
Mike

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My question to you guys is,
How big was your KB when it started to burrow? My sling is 3/4" and still stays on top of the substrate.. Also , How much substrate should I give a 3/4" KB sling? Its 1" deep now.

Thanks, Ernie

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ernie,
Mine was about the size of yours. I pre- made a burrow and it took care of the rest. 1" sounds good to me. You can add more if you like but it won't make much of a difference for him at that size.
Mike

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I planned far in advance before I got my 1" crawshayi. I firmly packed some moist topsoil into its current container, until it was more than 6" deep, then I moistened it again, and waited a month for it to dry up at least the top was bone dry. The substrate was almost rock hard. when I introduced the 1'' crawshayi it burrowed right down to the bottom. I normally do not give slings that small that much substrate, but with this one it has not created any problems.

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My 1" KB seems to burrow like a madman, then it just dug itself in...ive seen it like once in the past 2 months or so...

I have only recently found the burrow entrance, and it hasnt eaten for at least a month...any suggestions?...im planning a substrate change soon...

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
if you can carefully open the entrance of its burrow, do so, then put the prey item into its burrow, if it eats, then do this again however often you feed your T's. if it does not eat, and it is plump,then it probably will molt soon. if you can not see it, then disregard what i had to say. my crawshayi also seems to get sick of eating the same thing, so i have to give it a variety. also fly larvae work very well for food for a 1", fattens them up real fast, and if the T is not hungry, the larvae will not harm it.

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have a 6" or so C. crawshayi.
she burrows sometimes...
the last month though, she came out to do some feeding... filled in her burrow, and then started a burrow, but got lazy or stupid.
she is in a hole as deep as her, but not covered, just curled up in a sleeping kind of shape all day....

she thinks if she can't see you you can't see her.

at night she roams around a LOT! she webs up the cage floor like crazy.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
This isn't a C. crawshayi observation. This is a C. crawshayi observing YOU ;)

Joy

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
that wouldn't happen to be the 6' tall one that stands in the doorway of your house, would it?! ;)

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
that wouldn't happen to be the 6' tall one that stands in the doorway of your house, would it?! ;)
Yes, he's our "watch" spider!

Joy

Last edited:

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by anthony2561
Is the abdomen big or small???????If its big its a female if small its a male, but just take it out of its hole and keep it on top of the dirt till it molts again and just pick it up as soon as it does.

I do not believe you should be giving advice regarding this matter. For one, your generalization of abdomen size is not correct. Two, any burrower would definately not appreciate this. Three, it would dig another burrow. Four, your advice here comes from the same place every other post I've seen you make does. Straight out of your backside.

Thank you,
Bill

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Joy,

I bet the kids just say 'treat?' in a low whimpering voice when they hit your house on halloween. Lovely picture ;)

Bill