C. bechuanicus or C. brachycephalus

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have one of each of the above species. One was from a dealer whose ID methods are questionable. The other from a dealer with a good reputaion in proper ID. They look the same to me.

The first one is the T labeled as C. brachycephalus... from the reputable dealer.

Botar

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The second was labeled C. bechuanicus... from the dealer with the ID problems.

Any comments or insight from those with experience with these species?

Botar

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Another clue... the C. bechuanicus is solid black from the second set of booklungs back on the underside. The C. brachycephalus' underside is just a bit lighter in coloration than the rest of it's abdomen. Unless there is sexual dimorphism in these species, this may be valuable info. I have not sexed either T.

Botar

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This may or may not be helpful, but I have a spider sold to me as C. bechuanicus and I have no reason to believe it's not...

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
And here's a close up of the horn...both photos by Art Evans, by the way...

My understanding is that C. brachycephalus has a forward-pointing horn, C. marshalli's points straight up, and C. bechaunicus's points backwards. There/s others in the genus though, so it's not as cut and dry as all that!

Wade

esmoot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is a pic of one of my 3.5" Ceratogyrus bechuanicus

I think they are a great looking t.

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wade is correct.

The horn curves backwards on bechuanicus so I would have to say that your two are not that Botar. Looks like brachycephalus to me but as was mentioned earlier there are other members of the genus around not to mention I have heard of quite a few crossed ones being out there. Still my guess is brachycephalus as I have had both kinds and still have brachycephalus and thats what they look like. If you want to be sure try e-mailing Swifty a pic he's seen enough of them that he can tell ya for sure. Wades pic is for certain bechuanicus. I miss mine. :(

Phil

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I believe they are both brachycephalus also. No need to e-mail Swifty though... he was the "reputable dealer" from whom I purchased the one labeled as C. brachycephalus.

The help/responses were appreciated.

Botar

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I know that color is generally not a factor in determining species, but I noticed most C. bracycephalus pics I see show yellowish colored spiders (I don't have this species). My C. bechuanicus on the other hand is grey/pink. Are these colors typical for these species, or are they highly variable? I wouldn't be surprised if they were variable, a this genus is said to be closely related to Pterinochilus.

Wade

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
brachycephalus is pretty variable..

Wade
I've currently got 2 brachycephalyus and have had others as well. The 2 I have now have a good bit of difference in the color yet the pattern and the horn are the same. One is the yellowish coloration you describe while the other is the pinkish grey. I have seen this variation amongst all of them I've had so I would have to go with the highly variable thing. Hope that helps. And yes I realize that you are talking about color difference between different species but with my 2 brachycephalus the color is very different. Both are also female so it isn't a sexual dimorphism thing either. Just thought I would add that for clarification sake.

Phil

Last edited: