Byrsotria sp. "Cuba" questions

Stugy

Arachnolord
I recently received 15 (well now about 12 because of feeding them to scorpions) from Kyle (roachcrossing) and I have some questions about them.
1. So they need some sort of humidity? I currently have them in coconut fiber that is slightly damp (very slight to the point that you may not notice it)

2. So they have a primary source of food such as dried leaves? I have not fed mine yet as I'm currently experimenting with a fish food mix so I want to know if I can throw in vegetables or something in the mean time.

3. How long does it take to reach adulthood (whatever from your experiences)?

4. Is there a way to sex them while they are nymphs? How can I tell if I have an adult female? I already known the males have wings so you don't have to mention that.

That should be all the questions I have. Pictures are welcome and if you should post questions regarding this species here if you have them lol

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
1. Yeah, I think they like it moist, I've had troubles when keeping them too dry, just moisten up the coco fiber a bit and you should be good. :)

2. Dog food, fruits and veggies should make up the bulk of their diet, dead leaves are not necessary at all for these.

3. IDK, never really kept track of how fast mine grow. They aren't too slow growing though, that's for sure.

4. Yes you can, the last ventral abdominal segment on the female is really large, while the male's is tiny, so where the female has one segment the male has two basically. See here (not my pic):

This method can be used to sex most Blaberids. :)

Stugy

Arachnolord
1. Yeah, I think they like it moist, I've had troubles when keeping them too dry, just moisten up the coco fiber a bit and you should be good. :)

2. Dog food, fruits and veggies should make up the bulk of their diet, dead leaves are not necessary at all for these.

3. IDK, never really kept track of how fast mine grow. They aren't too slow growing though, that's for sure.

4. Yes you can, the last ventral abdominal segment on the female is really large, while the male's is tiny, so where the female has one segment the male has two basically. See here (not my pic):

This method can be used to sex most Blaberids. :)
Thanks. Very helpful. I'll throw in some dog food right now! For the food, can that apply for Little Kenyans also?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Thanks. Very helpful. I'll throw in some dog food right now! For the food, can that apply for Little Kenyans also?
Yup, the Kenyans should have the same dietary needs, and be sure you offer fruit to both species, most Blaberids will not reproduce without fruit regularly offered in their diets.

Stugy

Arachnolord
Yup, the Kenyans should have the same dietary needs, and be sure you offer fruit to both species, most Blaberids will not reproduce without fruit regularly offered in their diets.
Will strawberries work too (would they count as a fruit to the roaches? I know they aren't fruit but I happen to have bought some today lol)?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Will strawberries work too (would they count as a fruit to the roaches? I know they aren't fruit but I happen to have bought some today lol)?
I doubt it, very few of my roaches have liked strawberries, and they mold so quickly that it's not even worth it to feed them to your inverts IMO.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've had limited success with strawberries as well, but everyone at least snacks on it. Banana gets a really good initial response and then they just leave it. Haven't tried watermelon. Apple seems to be king for roaches.

You'll want to keep them pretty moist and they'll grow reasonably quickly for you then. Just found out yesterday that the colony I used to take of at the university is basically turning into a swamp.......but the Byrsotria actually seem to be doing really really well with it.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Like @pannaking22 said, apples are really the best, most roaches like them, and they don't rot too fast either. :) Meanwhile I've had mixed results with bananas, and I don't think I've tried watermelon before...