buying slings any tips?

keeper1

Arachnopeon
HI guys today Im buying a b. vagans sling problem is I dont know what I should feed it.... do any of you know what to feed it?... I know flies there are many here, but how do I catch it? anytraps you guys know??? also any tips?? What else can I can feed them?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Every pet store sells crickets. Just buy smalls. If they don't sell smalls, then cut it in half and feed that.

Do not feed flies or anything you caught in the wild. Flies are low in nutrition, and wild caught prey could carry pesticides.

keeper1

Arachnopeon
Every pet store sells crickets. Just buy smalls. If they don't sell smalls, then cut it in half and feed that.

Do not feed flies or anything you caught in the wild. Flies are low in nutrition, and wild caught prey could carry pesticides.
oh ok.. any substitute to crickets? they are hard to find here

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Mealworms, wax worms, butter worms, roaches, I've even fed isopods. Any fishing bait shop will sell meal worms, you can do that.

@cold blood, I know you've bought at bait shops before. Would a sling take a piece of earthworm?

cold blood

Staff member
Anything, small roaches, mealworms or wax worm pieces, calci worms....even diced up red worms. Just cut whatever you find into appropriately sized pieces.

It doesn't take much to fill a little sling, so you may not get it to eat very much, so don't worry if it refuses more food than it eats.

cold blood

Staff member
Mealworms, wax worms, butter worms, roaches, I've even fed isopods. Any fishing bait shop will sell meal worms, you can do that.

@cold blood, I know you've bought at bait shops before. Would a sling take a piece of earthworm?
Took a minute to spell check and you schooled me.:shifty::smug:

I mentioned red worms, essentially the same, but on a much smaller scale. Earthworms are quite big and quite fat....I mean they're like 5 slings wide, so you'd really have to do some slicing and dicing with an earthworm...but there's no reason they wouldn't eat it...heck, I've fed slings bits of chicken and fish.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Took a minute to spell check and you schooled me.:shifty::smug:

I mentioned red worms, essentially the same, but on a much smaller scale. Earthworms are quite big and quite fat....I mean they're like 5 slings wide, so you'd really have to do some slicing and dicing with an earthworm...but there's no reason they wouldn't eat it...heck, I've fed slings bits of chicken and fish.
I'm sure most to all earthworms are wild caught so I'd be cautious on using them for the risk of parasites.

cold blood

Staff member
I'm sure most to all earthworms are wild caught so I'd be cautious on using them for the risk of parasites.
Theyre almost all produced by farming the earthworms. Its why all the worms in the containers are exact replicas basically, every one ridiculously plump.

http://www.sonomavalleyworms.com/images/slide2.jpg

http://www.howtolearn.com/HTL/media/Worms-300x240.jpg

https://unclejimswormfarm.com/

http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/raising-earthworms-zmaz73sozraw

https://www.vermiculture.com/?gclid=CMqp7OGsudICFcK3wAodXswLNQ

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Wow sorry I never looked into it and have always assumed that worms were wild caught. :embarrassed:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I heard they can smell pretty bad but I haven't experienced it myself
The worst thing I've ever smelled was a container of worms that had died and started to rot. I came very close to throwing up from just a whiff of it. So if you get them, make sure you keep them alive.

cold blood

Staff member
The worst thing I've ever smelled was a container of worms that had died and started to rot. I came very close to throwing up from just a whiff of it. So if you get them, make sure you keep them alive.
Well if you let anything die and rot, its not gonna smell like peaches.

But yeah, rotting worms are sooo nasty.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Well if you let anything die and rot, its not gonna smell like peaches.

But yeah, rotting worms are sooo nasty.
True, but I've smelled all manner of rotten produce and meat over the course of my life (worked in a supermarket for a while in college) and the rotten worm smell was two or three times as bad.

cold blood

Staff member
True, but I've smelled all manner of rotten produce and meat over the course of my life (worked in a supermarket for a while in college) and the rotten worm smell was two or three times as bad.
rotten potatoes...I will say no more:vomit::vomit: