Buying mislabeled Ts

Nokturnal1980

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Has anybody out there ever purchased a T that was mis identified? If so were you able to figure out what it was? Me and my fiancee just did and are having trouble iding it. We currently have no way of posting a picture.:(

The pet store had it IDed as a stripe-knee, but upon it being returned for being way to fast and agessive they labeled it a cobalt blue. The clerk said they called it that because it was the only other T they had heard of.

If anybody is interested it is a brown body with no real marking but has very striking orange spinerets.

JColt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Orange spinerets would be the strip Knee. They can be pretty skittish. It has strips on legs doesnt it? Some stripknees are brown, some Black/Blue

stripknee

colbalt

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I bought a C. marshalli that turned out to be an Augacephalus junodi much to my delight!!!

With yours having tan spinnerettes Id say A. seemanni

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ive heard that with many pet shops in Australia, whenever they get in any large sized tarantula, they call it a Crassipes and of course it usually is not.

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

they can also look like this when they are in need of a molt... they will be a brown.

then after a molt they will look something like this :drool:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm dealing with a related issue right now. This deleware pet shop has this approx 4" t. It was labeled "pink knee" and it looks like A geniculata or possibly E campestratus. I call the place up yesterday and the guy tells me it's a "brazilian white knee". N coloratovillosus? I kinda doubt they just stumbled into one of those guys but anything's possible. Anywayz, i'm going over ther this week with some pics and see if i can identify it more accurately.

They want $29.95 for it, whatever it is. My money's on a geniculata but who knows? It may be none of the above.

Is $30 a little high for a 4" geniculata unsexed?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If anybody is interested it is a brown body with no real marking but has very striking orange spinerets.

This right here automatically makes me think Aphonopelma seemanni. This species is actually known for being quite skittish and sometimes very defensive.

Here is my A.seemanni's spinnerets,

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm dealing with a related issue right now. This deleware pet shop has this approx 4" t. It was labeled "pink knee" and it looks like A geniculata or possibly E campestratus. I call the place up yesterday and the guy tells me it's a "brazilian white knee". N coloratovillosus? I kinda doubt they just stumbled into one of those guys but anything's possible. Anywayz, i'm going over ther this week with some pics and see if i can identify it more accurately.

They want $29.95 for it, whatever it is. My money's on a geniculata but who knows? It may be none of the above.

Is $30 a little high for a 4" geniculata unsexed?

Actually thats a pretty good price, I've seen smaller for more at some places. Do you think you'd be able to go back to the pet store and get us some pics?

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Has anybody out there ever purchased a T that was mis identified? If so were you able to figure out what it was? Me and my fiancee just did and are having trouble iding it. We currently have no way of posting a picture.:(

The pet store had it IDed as a stripe-knee, but upon it being returned for being way to fast and agessive they labeled it a cobalt blue. The clerk said they called it that because it was the only other T they had heard of.

its A. seemani AKA Costa Rican Zebra

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i dunno thats kind of a high price for that species... i got mine for like 14 dollars

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sorry Nokturnal. I just realized that i jacked yer thread. Brown w/ orange spinnerets sounds like seemani to me. They're nice t's. Never thought of them as aggressive though; I thought they were pretty gentle.

Maybe i should repost my geniculata/campestratus/coloratovillosus issue in a new thread.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree your T sounds like an A. seemani. Bought a mis identified sling or T, no. Bought an unindentified sling, yes. I bought some other spiders from someone who didn't want them anymore and he threw in a small T with black and white striped legs. He told me he had no idea what it was, he referred to it as a mystery sling, so we named it Mystery.
Turns out that Mystery is an N. chromatus female, and very pretty now.

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We also bought a juvi "A. seemani" that turned out to be a P. cancerides

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've bought about 3 mis-identified T's, and have been able to figure out two of them. One was a G. rosea (how can you mis-label that?), and one was a B. vagans. The other one, we still have no clue.

Nokturnal1980

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
we have two pictures up in the ID section (though they are crap)

He is only about 1.5-2 inches in the body and is not as heavily bodied as the pitures you guys are showing me. Does anyone have a pictuer of any younger coasta rican zebras?

Last edited:

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
we have two pictures up in the ID section (though they are crap)

He is only about 1.5-2 inches in the body and is not as heavily bodied as the pitures you guys are showing me. Does anyone have a pictuer of any younger coasta rican zebras?

does it look more like this?