Buying Bulk Coir (Coconut Fiber)

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Where do you buy your coir (coconut fiber) in bulk amounts? I have bought Eco Earth coir (a loose bag and the 3 brick pack) buy I am looking for a more inexpensive alternative that is sold in larger quantities. Thanks in advance for providing your feedback. :)

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Where do you buy your coir (coconut fiber) in bulk amounts? I have bought Eco Earth coir (a loose bag and the 3 brick pack) buy I am looking for a more inexpensive alternative that is sold in larger quantities. Thanks in advance for providing your feedback. :)
You can get an 11 lbs brick of coco coir on Amazon for $16.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
In Italy, by trusted breeders/sellers, at a very honest price. I buy KG of (loose & ready to use) coco fiber and Irish peat moss. Here even great quality cork bark is at low prices as well.

Too bad that T's are still technically banned, lol, it's like having a hot Lady ready for everything in the bed without having the manly 1.0 needed part for :)

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I buy in bulk from local hydroponics/ indoor gardening shops. I can get a 5 kilo block of coco coir for about $16 USD.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
is there a way to ensure that it will not grow mold?
No. Coco coir/ fiber is organic therefore it will mold under the right conditions. However, I have used two different brands: a more expensive "double washed" coco coir and a cheap brand. The cheap brand molds like crazy more at the bottom of tarantulas' containers where it is constantly damp, but doesn't affect my tarantulas any so it is just unsightly. The more expensive brand being the $16 5 kilo block I mentioned doesn't mold even when constantly wet from watering. There will be some mold from time to time due to prey remains, but that is easily cleaned up.