Buying advice for an aspiring tarantula keeper?

zoreph

Arachnopeon
Hi, first post ever,

After my roommates asked me how I would feel about them getting a second cat, I countered with asking if I could get a tarantula. I was nervous about this, but it was painless and they are totally fine with it, as long as it doesn't run around haha. So naturally, I'll ask my question about acquiring three tarantulas:

I am really interested in getting a G. Pulchra and an A. Chalcodes, but I am aware that both of these grow fairly slow. Is it worth it to spend the money on getting an unsexed juvenile? Last I checked (five minutes ago), G. Pulchras are over $100 at that size, and I'm not seeing many A. Chalcodes as juveniles anywhere.

I also would really like to raise a sling, and I was thinking of a T. Albo, because I do think they're pretty cool even though they're common in the hobby, and they're fairly easy and cheap to get.

I guess I'm having a problem with figuring out how to budget for this. As a first time T owner, should I spend a couple hundred dollars on a sling, two unsexed juveniles, supplies, and overnight shipping? Or should I start smaller, and go slower?

How did you start out?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A couple hundred on a sling is a ridiculous amount to pay for a sling period!

As a beginner would you rather rather have 5$ mistake or a 100$ mistake resulting in death... :rolleyes: :rofl:

Get a juvie, more tolerant of errors

Albo’s are moderately “fast” growers even as females. Doesn’t take too long to reach 3”. But 3-5” takes longer unless you keep at 80F+

zoreph

Arachnopeon
A couple hundred on a sling is a ridiculous amount to pay for a sling period!

As a beginner would you rather rather have 5$ mistake or a 100$ mistake resulting in death... :rolleyes: :rofl:
Oh haha, yeah! I meant a couple hundred dollars on a sling, as well as two juveniles, supplies, and good shipping. Definitely would not spend more than 20 dollars on a sling at this point probably...

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In the end, I'd say do what makes you happy. I always buy more than one sling at a time, because I cringe at the idea of shipping costs for a single spiderling. Juveniles are more established and hardier, and might be a better choice for that reason. Out of 24 tarantulas I've only purchased one sub-adult and two juveniles. I tend to get slings because I enjoy watching them grow and seeing how their appearance changes as they mature, but they are more delicate too.

Both of your choices are excellent beginner Ts. Kudos to you on that. My quirogai (similar to the pulchra) is one of my favorites. Of course, I say that about most of them :happy:

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Well you picked three good species to start with. I wouldn't worry about slow growth rates as it really only means you'll get to spend more time enjoying your pet.

If it were me I would do some reading and really narrow it down to which species you would like to keep. If money is an issue and let's face it for most of us it is, generally slings are cheaper. Buying a juvenile may be a bit more expensive but are generally a bit hardier and more forgiving of mistakes. With the proper research and care I believe you can raise a sling as a beginner.

Once you have picked a species research its particular need for care in captivity. If you decide to go the sling route you will have to spend money to upgrade its housing throughout it's life, but that's kinda spread out and offset by the fact you can keep a sling in a small and inexpensive home to begin with. There are ways to house a T on the cheap as you can even find suitable housing at the Dollar Store. Most of the expense will probably be for the T itself.

Look online for reptile/exotic animal shows near you. Often times you'll be able to find a vendor at a show which will save you money on shipping costs. Perhaps there is even a dealer/breeder near you that you can meet up with.

Research the vendor/dealer/breeder to make sure they have a good reputation so you can buy with confidence.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Keep those cats away from your T at all costs, like you’re protecting a military base. They will try to infiltrate and kill your T.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I have heard so many horror stories about cats knocking enclosures off of shelves that you wouldn't believe it. There's almost always a bad outcome for the T. Take whatever measures you have to to keep the cats away.

zoreph

Arachnopeon
I have heard so many horror stories about cats knocking enclosures off of shelves that you wouldn't believe it. There's almost always a bad outcome for the T. Take whatever measures you have to to keep the cats away.
Absolutely. I will keep the tarantulas in my room with the door closed, and the cats aren't even allowed upstairs, so I think it will be okay. Can never be too careful though.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh haha, yeah! I meant a couple hundred dollars on a sling, as well as two juveniles, supplies, and good shipping. Definitely would not spend more than 20 dollars on a sling at this point probably...
It should NOT cost you that much at all in total to start!

Absolutely. I will keep the tarantulas in my room with the door closed, and the cats aren't even allowed upstairs, so I think it will be okay. Can never be too careful though.
Allowed is not in a cat’s lexicon- you have been warned. They have hunting in their genes.

cold blood

Staff member
Raising slings is perhaps the most rewarding part of the hobby (aside from breeding). For a beginner, its also by far the most educational learning opportunity.

That said, the species you chose (while excellent beginner species), are terrible choices to raise as first slings....their growth rate isn't just slow, its glacial, and raising them can be about as exciting as watching a glacier move across the landscape.

My suggestion is to locate an adult or juvie female chalcodes (pulchra are perhaps the most over priced species in the hobby, don't get on that bandwagon)....chalcodes are readily available and even an adult shouldn't be much more than 60 bucks.

I would then get a faster growing sling or three to raise along with the adult...the two I would suggest are G. pulchripes and T. albopilosus.....these are good eating slings that grow faster than other beginner species, making raising them very enjoyable...cost for both is also quite low as they are readily available.

this hobby is as cheap or as expensive as you make it, and keep in mind, expensive wont be any better for the t, expensive set ups are for the owner...ts do fine in deli cups or cheap sterilite enclosures.

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My opinion...Unruly people have unruly cats. There! I said it. Cats always get a bad rap.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
a G Pulchripes is a cheaper buy in than a Pulchra which seems to be very popular right now. Chalcodes can be had for pretty cheap in multiple life stages. Are you in the US? You have picked good starters, if you want fast growing Geniculatas grow pretty fast and get big and pretty. I concur with all the o9ther posters bhere about the cats. Proper turtle breeders won't let people with dogs or cats have tortoises because of the damage they can do.