Buying a new T

Arachnohorn

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

I have 50$ that I’m willing to spend on a new T. I already have an enclosure, size 14″ x 14″ x 14 ″ . Any suggestions On what Tarantula I should get? Keep in mind that I’m a beginner, as I only have 3 New world Ts.

Thanks,
Arachnohorn

Hakuna

Arachnoknight
Depends on what YOU want....and frankly it’s what you could get for 50 bucks. Don’t know what you have available in your area.

That enclosure is too large for any sling, thats for sure.

Arachnohorn

Arachnopeon
Depends on what YOU want....and frankly it’s what you could get for 50 bucks. Don’t know what you have available in your area.

That enclosure is too large for any sling, thats for sure.
I don’t know what I want, I figured maybe the community can give me some suggestions. I was planning on shopping online but maybe I could look into some nearby pet stores. I have tons of small containers available if I’m gonna get a sling.

After shipping you might have $10 left for the spider, if you’re lucky.
:astonished: wow thats unexpecte, maybe there are some cheap slings out there?

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
I don’t know what I want, I figured maybe the community can give me some suggestions. I was planning on shopping online but maybe I could look into some nearby pet stores. I have tons of small containers available if I’m gonna get a sling.
Well typically the shipping itself is going to cost you around $50. That’s why I said you may have $10 left IF you’re lucky. And then you’d have to be even more lucky to find a $10 T. People can’t really recommend anything to you for that price, because your options are either very limited or nonexistent.

That’s why most of us will save up for a bit and buy 5 or more at once, so that it negates the shipping cost. I would never consider buying a singular spider again because of that.

Remember, you’re asking for someone to ship you a live animal. Look on fedex for the prices of shipping live animals. It’s not cheap. And as far as big dealers go, you can expect to pay 30-100 for a sling depending on species, on average. Some more, very very few less.

Arachnohorn

Arachnopeon
Well typically the shipping itself is going to cost you around $50. That’s why I said you may have $10 left IF you’re lucky. And then you’d have to be even more lucky to find a $10 T. People can’t really recommend anything to you for that price, because your options are either very limited or nonexistent.

That’s why most of us will save up for a bit and buy 5 or more at once, so that it negates the shipping cost. I would never consider buying a singular spider again because of that.

Remember, you’re asking for someone to ship you a live animal. Look on fedex for the prices of shipping live animals. It’s not cheap. And as far as big dealers go, you can expect to pay 30-100 for a sling depending on species, on average. Some more, very very few less.
Thank you for the info, I always thought shipping fee is like Amazon shipping fee haha. I may drop in 30 or more dollars

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Thank you for the info, I always thought shipping fee is like Amazon shipping fee haha. I may drop in 30 or more dollars
Tom Moran has a new podcast covering everything to do with buying tarantulas online. There’s tips on how to save and everything. I’d recommend a listen. I’ve been keeping for a while and even learned a thing or two from it.

Arachnohorn

Arachnopeon
Tom Moran has a new podcast covering everything to do with buying tarantulas online. There’s tips on how to save and everything. I’d recommend a listen. I’ve been keeping for a while and even learned a thing or two from it.
Link to podcast please? <edit>

Last edited by a moderator:

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Definitely check the classified section here on AB and, if you find a seller elsewhere, check the reviews section for anything on them.
I found an awesome seller on here that I bought my T. apophysis from and I’m thrilled with both the seller and the spider

Last edited by a moderator:

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Check out N. incei. I just lost my olive male, but do have an unsexed gold color form thats about year old. Looks like you’re relatively local.

They‘re a dwarf species with males living about 2 years and females around 7. Fast as all get out. If you want to give it a go let me know; I’d just need to rehouse it into an amac since I’m not separating with my acrylic enclosure.

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
what do you mean?
As of 2/2/20, the BOI was permanently removed from public access. It exists now only on the wayback machine, in the minds of those who took part in it while it was live, and hopefully parked in the cloud somewhere.

As for 'bad apples', one of the stated reasons (which I take to be true) was that there were a couple serious threats of legal action against the owner of Fauna by people who were on the receiving end of negative -- but as was the format of the BOI, judged legitimate and true through open public debate underpinned by documentation -- commentary there.

Room of arachnids

Arachnopeon

This is literally irrelevant, though while I was reading through the boards (cause I am still looking into spider keeping) and I'm listening to his podcast right now:rofl: season 4 episode 9!

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
Hahaha if you find out where to get a $50 tarantula, let me know! I got a 5-year old female g. porteri for $50, with the enclosure, years ago from a young local woman who was moving out of state. Great deal, but unfortunately it set me up for the unrealistic expectation that tarantulas are cheap. Unless you're getting one locally, expect to spend that $50 on shipping (as has been mentioned).

In terms of less expensive tarantula spiderlings: grammostola porteri/pulchripes/rosea, tliltocatl albopilosus, neoholothele incei, nhandu coloratovillosus, pterinopelma sazimai are the smallest and cheapest ones my local distributor sells at $20 each, all of which I've purchased and love as slings (and didn't have to pay $50 for shipping because I pick up locally). None of them at that size are going to be able to live in the enclosure you have yet, but you can get a deli cup and lid for free from virtually any restaurant and that'll be the only enclosure you need for probably 6 months?

GOOD LUCK! :) I hope you find something you'll love!

Last edited: