Buthus leptochelys and Babycurus jacksoni

FelanMoira

Arachnopeon
OKay -- is the Buthus a really hot species coming from Egypt? and are there mostly CB or WC in the pet trade??

Also what about the Babycurus jacksoni?

Looking at Botar's page is gonna be the death of me if I ever order all I want (the hubby is gonna kill me!)

Oh, what about Scorpio maurus palmatus?

LoganVivisected

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Couldnt say about the first, however B.jacksoni are awesome pets, rather active as far as scorps go and you can get great deals on them if you shop around... Also they are really only about as dangerous as a lot of your cents and scorpios, just a little higher; so no problem for a healthy human unless you have a bad reaction. Most are not very aggressive either, more so than most of your larger forest species, but not overly.

S. maurus make great scorps as well, I have one little guy that thinks he can take on just about anything, even the breeze! very aggressive, but again more on the intermediate venom level. A little more pricey ($25-35) but well worth it I think.

Both are great pets :)

Andre2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello,
First of all it is Buthacus leptochelys, not Buthus leptochelys....

Both Buthus spp. (from North-Africa) and Buthacus arenicola are very toxic.
Buthacus leptochelys is very similar (on sight) to B. arenicola, so I would treat any of the Buthacus spp. in the trade as a very toxic one. Also Buthus occitanus (tunetanus) is among the most toxic scorpions in the world!

Especially the Buthacus spp. is VERY agressive and nervous.

So, if you must keep a Buthid scorpion then Babycurus is probably the more safe option...but of course the most sensible choice would be (the quite harmless) Scorpio maurus.;)

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've temporarly a B. Occitanus WC from Portugal and he is really not a very toxic scorp :D :D :D :D

Only the specimens related from north africa are really toxic... :p

FelanMoira

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the replies .... I want to get a less venomous scorp as a first scorp, so it might have to be a Scorpio maurus then.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not only is B. jacksoni a safer option, they're beautiful scorpions. I got some young ones a few months ago and I love them. They hide during the day but come out to explore at night.

If you shop around you can get them at a really good price, too -- mine were only $5 apiece for 2nd and 3rd instars. One of each has since molted. :D

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They hide during the day
Then that is most likely because they either experience direct light or the ambient light is too bright. Mine are in a lit room but they have a shaded location within the room and i often see them out during the day.
This also applys to many other scorpions species..;)