But it's just a little one...

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
tyrel said:
I guess I have to keep things in perspective. I'm not sure where centipedes fit in between "honey bee" and "stonefish".
well, bee venom kills thousands a year, and stonefish is just nasty from what i can rustily recall... so in a very real sense centipedes are generally quite a bit milder in comparison

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
CopperInMyVeins said:
Well, as danread said, there have been only a handful of sketchy, mostly unconfirmed centipede fatality reports, also only one from Vietnam, funny enough. The famous little girl bitten on the head story. While on the other hand, there are at least 100 deaths related to bee and wasp stings each year in the US alone. So, if you're not allergic, death seems pretty unlikely.
the little girl most likely did die. i have seen it cited in quite legitimate works. but she was in the Philipines. it was a subspinipes, however

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
cacoseraph said:
the little girl most likely did die. i have seen it cited in quite legitimate works. but she was in the Philipines. it was a subspinipes, however
I'm not doubting that she died, I've seen the same story cited as occurring in several different locations in different sources though. I'll take your word for it that it was the Philipines. In that case, no centipede related deaths ever officially reported in Vietnam, Thailand, China, Hong Kong, or any of the other places where most pet trade S. subspinipes come from.

MEXICOYA415

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Arietans said:
You should read my post properly.

Comparing to a black widow it might hurt, comparing to a Puff Adder it won't. Its a matter of perspective.

For interests sake: I've been bitten by a Black Widow, a Violin Spider(which, incidently, hurt more than a widow bite), a Sac spider, a Boomslang and a Puff Adder. I've been spat in the face a few times by Spitting cobras and have a wonderfully large scar from a molesnake. I've been stung by P. Transvaalicus, P. Villosus, P. Granulatus and some of the Uroplectus species. I've been attacked by crocodiles (which has left a beautiful scar on my left calf), bitten by Honey Badgers etc. Stung by countless wasps, bees etc.

Again you make the mistake of assumption.
Holy $#!+ :eek: Maybe you should get a bunny or a teddy bear.;P

MEXICOYA415

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
szappan said:
Bunnies can bite too... ;)

True, but Iv'e heard their venom is a 1 on the 1-5 scale.;) :D Haven't seen you around for a while. Got any new vids. for us?
-Jorge

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
MEXICOYA415 said:
True, but Iv'e heard their venom is a 1 on the 1-5 scale.;) :D Haven't seen you around for a while. Got any new vids. for us?
-Jorge
Hey Jorge, thanks for asking.

I'm kind of disappointed I can't find this one video. Years ago the Discovery Channel had a very short little news report on the US Government using scolopendras as the basis for experimental machines – planet exploring robots I think. If I remember correctly they were mainly interested in their ability to traverse all kinds of terrain. They showed this crazy footage of these poor centipedes running on treadmills. I have the video somewhere in a storage space in Toronto... in other words I probably won't have access to it for a while. Very frustrating.

Maybe we can petition Discovery Channel to run it again... :clap:

But I guess this is all 'off topic' anyways... :?

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
they grow big ! (many times important for starter-pede-lovers)
- they don't always are underground (in contrast with Sc.alternans for ex.)
What are you saying here steven? My blondi was big (7-8 1/2") it never hid, never went underground, does that make it OK for a begginner? to start with an 8" blondi? My obt is fairly large, my male, he stays out in the open much of the time, should he be a good begginer? my P. regalis is big, it stays out in the open, is it a good begginer? my L. mactans stays out in the open, its HUGE compared to others ive seen, should it be a good begginer true-spider wise? I think your comment was more sarcastic, or so it seemed, telling every 10 year old kid that reads this that they should go get a 13" gigantea.

Arietiens. I agree though, if someone i have met was bitten by a type of venemous snake, they would have knocked L. mactans off the scale. But the thing is, those people, have had some major pain in thier life. My mother for instance, shes had surgery, stictches, fallen off a cliff once while climbing, and many other accidents, and out of all those, the black widow was more painful. Go figure.

I really dont see how you guys do it:wall: :confused: that *any* pede is ok for a begginer.

Lets see. Subspinipes is larger, all the ones ive seen are FASTER, venom is more potent, and all the ones ive seen, are more aggresive.

Now you say a subspinipes as a pling, could be just dandy as a begginer? ok, my A. australis was fast, fairly large, aggresive, and had potent venom, yet should it be a begginer?

MEXICOYA415

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
CopperInMyVeins said:
Maybe it's because he apparently lives in southern Africa.

It was meant as a joke but, I'm sure it's not an everyday thing for everyone who lives there. Otherwise I don't think too many people would live there.

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
MEXICOYA415 said:
It was meant as a joke but, I'm sure it's not an everyday thing for everyone who lives there. Otherwise I don't think too many people would live there.
I know, but I guess it's bound to happen when you spend so much time searching for and taking care of venomous or otherwise dangerous animals in an environment like that, it's bound to happen.

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Scorp guy said:
What are you saying here steven? My blondi was big (7-8 1/2") it never hid, never went underground, does that make it OK for a begginner? to start with an 8" blondi? My obt is fairly large, my male, he stays out in the open much of the time, should he be a good begginer? my P. regalis is big, it stays out in the open, is it a good begginer? my L. mactans stays out in the open, its HUGE compared to others ive seen, should it be a good begginer true-spider wise? I think your comment was more sarcastic, or so it seemed, telling every 10 year old kid that reads this that they should go get a 13" gigantea.

Arietiens. I agree though, if someone i have met was bitten by a type of venemous snake, they would have knocked L. mactans off the scale. But the thing is, those people, have had some major pain in thier life. My mother for instance, shes had surgery, stictches, fallen off a cliff once while climbing, and many other accidents, and out of all those, the black widow was more painful. Go figure.

I really dont see how you guys do it:wall: :confused: that *any* pede is ok for a begginer.

Lets see. Subspinipes is larger, all the ones ive seen are FASTER, venom is more potent, and all the ones ive seen, are more aggresive.

Now you say a subspinipes as a pling, could be just dandy as a begginer? ok, my A. australis was fast, fairly large, aggresive, and had potent venom, yet should it be a begginer?
Scorp Guy, I'm not exacty what you would call a beginner. I'm definatly not a novice to the world of animal care. I have worked with many different animals my whole life, and done enough reasearch on each and every one of them to become more knowlageable than some "experts".

When I start a personal project (like learning about and caring for new types of animals), it's not just a novelty. It's a passion, an obsession, and a mission.

I'm not your typical Newbie to anything. I take no chances or risks with anything I set my mind to. That why I have made this thread. I'm looking for opinions from others to help me make decisions before I ever even get started. So, While your opinon is valued, You need not make it more than once or twice.

nissan480

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
WOW,i cant beieve this is still going on

BUY the one you want man,DANG.LOL

i hope you don plan on getting bit by any.my first pede,yellow legged vietnamese.second,very large puerto rican giant

they are both fast as hell,but never showed any aggression to me,ACCEPT when i touched his back.but he just reared up,not attacked.either way,these are NOT ment for touching.remember that

these animals would rather run,than fiight,like most creature's.so,if i HAVE to stick my hand in there for some reason,i just open his cage loudly and scare him,he hide's deeper in his nook,and i handle my buisness.

always be aware,one eye on your pede,the other on what your doing.

i find them interesting because they are viscous,efficient killers.so im not interested in "beginner pede's".if one exists.thats like saying a friendly tiger.it might be more so that others,but eventually your gonna lose a limb.

and one more thing,DO IT,DO IT!!!!

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nissan480 said:

Heh.. I cant actually order anything untill the summer is over, but I like to get info ahead of time. ;)

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
nissan480 said:

i hope you don plan on getting bit by any.my first pede,yellow legged vietnamese.second,very large puerto rican giant

they are both fast as hell,but never showed any aggression to me,ACCEPT when i touched his back.but he just reared up,not attacked.either way,these are NOT ment for touching.remember that

these animals would rather run,than fiight,like most creature's.so,if i HAVE to stick my hand in there for some reason,i just open his cage loudly and scare him,he hide's deeper in his nook,and i handle my buisness.

i find them interesting because they are viscous,efficient killers.so im not interested in "beginner pede's".if one exists.thats like saying a friendly tiger.it might be more so that others,but eventually your gonna lose a limb.

and one more thing,DO IT,DO IT!!!!

Nissan, honestly man, i dont think you have any right to give advice out, when you dont even know how to take care of animals properly. Feeding nothing but verts to your pedes, just for fun, and you TOUCHED his back? that's just plain stupid, dumb, and pointless. Go back to giving advice on RZ or kingsnake, and do let me know when you grow up a bit.

Tyrel: I must have misunderstood you. If you've kept as many animals as you claim, then go for it. Maybe you are ready for something like this. My advice, just be careful. If your careful and house your pedes properly and feed them correctly, you'll have a nice pede for display for many years to come.

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
nissan480 said:

You might wanna invest in a pair of forceps.

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Scorp guy said:
Tyrel: I must have misunderstood you. If you've kept as many animals as you claim, then go for it. Maybe you are ready for something like this. My advice, just be careful. If your careful and house your pedes properly and feed them correctly, you'll have a nice pede for display for many years to come.
No problem. I have been kept many different types of animals, Just nothing quite this potent. I will always be careful with any animal, venomous or not. This way I ensure myselfs and my animals safety.

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
tyrel said:
No problem. I have been kept many different types of animals, Just nothing quite this potent. I will always be careful with any animal, venomous or not. This way I ensure myselfs and my animals safety.

That's very good to hear. gosh, i gotta get a new subspinipes. My first little girl died of unknown reasons. My other smaller one, i believe may have been injury or internal parasites. I might be getting a 9" one soon though.

nissan480

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
to clear things up once AGAIN for you SCOPR,i have a dubia colony.SO,calm down with your insults and attitude,and silly assumptions.and my pede's are fine,what happened to your little one???????carma for being alittle prick maybe??

this will be my last acknowledgement of your existance

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
carma for being alittle prick maybe??
Your going to resort to insults on a public forum? what does having a dubia colony have to do with feeding verts to non-verts? I actually remember when you got your "puerto rican giant" and in every single picture, there was a mouse, right next to your pede. And then there was the time you said:

you know what,forget it.this is a baby mouse,with hair though,against my wild cuaght centipede.i will post the winner.and if he gets messed up,ill buy another.
How mature that is :mad: "if my pede gets messed up or dies, ill get another"

Once again, you have no idea of the care of centipedes, you dont listen to anyone, and do things your own way, and i'll continue to suggest everyone whome you give un-proper advice to stay away from you, and your care.

also:

round one

centipede pulls some kung fu but doesnt get the mouse.my fear of this mouse hurting my pede is gone.pede goes in defensive position for a minute or so,then goes in his cave.maybe he's not hungry enough

stick one in the tank with your 8 1/2 and watch the skill that comes with being around for a million years.

IMPRESSIVE
Now your advising everyone else follow your idiotic ideas of feeding verts? thats terrible! I have attempted to feed a vert to my pede one time, and i'll never again try it, i removed it asap, THAT was the end of that.

Steven, and all you guys, i apoligize ofr hi-jacking this thread, and especially you tyrel, and good luck with your pede.

What ticks me off real bad, is when some guy who doesnt even listen when someone says not to feed verts, comes barging in giving info basically saying "yeah man, get it, no problem here" it sorta tcks me off. And i know nobodys perfect, But if your going to give advice on something, correct our own problems first, and read a book or two, before you hand out false info.

Last edited: