busy little arachnid!

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ok last nite my baby has dug up all her substrate well most of it into 1 corner now theres a hill in 1 corner of her tank an inch and half above the lvl of the rest of the substrate can some1 tell me what shes doing or planning lol?

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by mebebraz
at least half of my t's do that too, always have.
so its nothing to worry about?she isnt planning an clever escape plan? :?

Last edited:

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just think of it as remodeling tarantula style.

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wouldnt woryy a bit, the only time I worried about it was when I built a new casa for one and used a bark substrate, I thought that was why she moved everything to the edge, changed the sub to peat, then a mix, did the same thing all three times, I dont worry anymore if they do it now, they seem happy.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I Love when they start remodling.

It's neat to see what they do and how they pile it.

Don't worry and enjoy. If you Are worried about escape just make extra sure the lid is secure. :)

I don't know about anyone else but to me busy T = healthy happy T.

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Nixy
I Love when they start remodling.

It's neat to see what they do and how they pile it.

Don't worry and enjoy. If you Are worried about escape just make extra sure the lid is secure. :)

I don't know about anyone else but to me busy T = healthy happy T.
ooo thats good to know :)

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, my shy little e campestratus did that, she used to sorta hide under her cover i gave her.. then one day she decided to build a huge mound, now I can't see the pot i put in there and she's hiding under her little fortress.:D It's cute tho

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
My T's are into remodeling too!

My Rio Grande Gold T has taken her substrate and
used it to block up what I considered the "front"
of her hide. And now she goes in and out the back.

The Stripe Knee has a nice little hide she hardly
ever uses. Instead she has dug a tunnel around her
water dish! And she spends a lot of time squished in there next to it:rolleyes:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The thing that entertains me is how two siblings will exhibit totally different behavior. I have one G. pulchra sling that sits contentedly in its vial, all the substrate nicely packed and level. Its sac mate has made a concerted effort to move all of the substrate to the top of the vial while it lives in the "cave" on the plastic of the vial underneath. I have two B. boehmi slings with similarly opposite habits.

Some of them are, as you say, "busy little arachnids", others would sit on whatever you give them contentedly for the next decade before moving a chelicerae full of dirt. It's all part of what makes them interesting.

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
lmao im watching her do it now its soooo funny she was carrying a fang full of substrate up her mound when a cricket jumps out she sh*t herself lol i was almost in tears :rolleyes: shes soo cute!

lol anything she dont like she picks it up and dumps it in her water dish....lol

Katy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ya my baby did some remodeling on his old home, he got rid of all the substrate around his water dish and piled it up behind his hidey hole and also filled up half his water dish with dirt. Odd little thigs!

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:) hi
my little white knee doesnt know when to stop , she is constantly redecorating her present home , think maybe they get bored:confused: my emilia keeps stop/starting her digging but she has almost undermined her home:? while my b.vagans has settled down now. my rosie is so laid back n bone idle im surprised she has to roll over to molt:rolleyes:

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Grael
lmao im watching her do it now its soooo funny she was carrying a fang full of substrate up her mound when a cricket jumps out she sh*t herself lol i was almost in tears :rolleyes: shes soo cute!

lol anything she dont like she picks it up and dumps it in her water dish....lol
You shouldn't leave crickets in the cage with your tarantula if it decided not to eat the crix.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
is it diggin towards the heat mat? most of mine do that (im in england so the general room temp is low so i sue heat mats:p)

all my whiteknee does is spin silk at its 'dining' area, where it eats then leaves the bluses

i gotta get pics

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a G.Pulchra s'ling that always remodels. Usually it sets up dirt piles that it can hide behind, rather than a tunnel. I'm not sure why it sets up little bunkers like that, but i assume it's to hide from me. Very hard on my self esteem, that one is.
Paul

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by lam
You shouldn't leave crickets in the cage with your tarantula if it decided not to eat the crix.
it had only been in there half an hour but she didnt eat it and it kept frightening her lol so i took it out :D

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:)
crickets pfff strange things at times. put one in with my rosie once, she slowly wandered over to investigate n the thing launched itself through the air at her n bounced of her head/cephalophorax(sp?) :eek: she was quite shocked by this n didnt want to know so i took rambo cricket out n threw him into my b.vagans;P my little uber pig just kinda went "yeah whatever" n dined in:}

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
mine builds those too!

Originally posted by Rookie
I have a G.Pulchra s'ling that always remodels. Usually it sets up dirt piles that it can hide behind, rather than a tunnel. I'm not sure why it sets up little bunkers like that, but i assume it's to hide from me. Very hard on my self esteem, that one is.
Paul
She has recently constructed a volcano..or a mountain whatever you wnat to call it all around her waterdish.Not in it, just around it..then webbed up the top.

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
hmmm i think shes trying to get to china lol shes dug quite a big hole for herself now and shes not using the hide i give her shall i take the hide out?