Burrowing wolf spider?

Conor10

Arachnoknight
Today l was out looking for some cool inverts, and I found a hole. It was webbed so I just used the blade of grass method to get her out. She came up, along with a egg sac. I took her and now she is on about four inches of sub for now, I know this is most likely not suitable for her. Should I get some excavator clay? This is my first fossorial true spider so I need some help. Also, what should I do when the the sac hatches? I can get some pics of her tomorrow as it’s pitch black in CA right now. Thanks for reply’s 😊

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
It's quite natural for various species of wolf spiders to burrow, and sometimes remain burrowed for some time, even during a molt. I wouldn't call them fossorial due to that, to me they are terrestrial.
So you plan on keeping her along with her clutch? Any pics? (that might help others with identifying).

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
Coco fiber for substrate should be fine, she'd be able to construct a burrow in there (at least my large H. Miami and smaller H. Schmitzi have used it in the past for burrows). But I am sure other substrates might work too, you can even collect some from the same place you collected her I suppose.

I don't know about excavator clay as a substrate, because each time you wet it, it would change the density and pliability of it. Treat her like a small tarantula, give her several inches of sub for burrowing, give her a little cave/hide to use for shelter, add some leaves and moss debris 👍

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Geolycosa gosoga if I had to guess. It's the only species in California.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
They will also steal empty burrows that other critters have made
Here’s her final enclosure:
Very nice setup and layout. Moss is especially challenging for dummies like me. I can grow peppers galore and other "herbs". Moss is a butt kicker though.
Wolf spiders are absolutely awesome to watch on the hunt.

Conor10

Arachnoknight
She’s been staying in her burrow lately, just started digging a lot expanding the burrow. She also loves to threat pose me a lot, I hope it goes well with the moss.

Conor10

Arachnoknight
She has opened the sac (I think). She had it directly under her and started doing these weird positions before running dow the burrow. I think it’s going to hatch because it’s really bloated, any tips or ideas on what to do?

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
She has opened the sac (I think). She had it directly under her and started doing these weird positions before running dow the burrow. I think it’s going to hatch because it’s really bloated, any tips or ideas on what to do?
Once the babies go off her back make sure to be stocked up on fruit flies and deli cups.

Conor10

Arachnoknight
I plan on returning most of them where I found the mother but I will be keeping a few.

Last edited:

Conor10

Arachnoknight
She has decided that the pre-made burrow isn’t good and went to make one on her own, I just patched up the old one. She has been webbing a lot and you can see all the substrate she has excavated, hopefully she keeps expanding the burrow. The plants have been growing really good. Sorry for the not-so-good pictures. 🙂

Attachments

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Nice setup I tried to keep moss alive at one point but I somehow managed to mess that up lol

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
It's quite natural for various species of wolf spiders to burrow, and sometimes remain burrowed for some time, even during a molt. I wouldn't call them fossorial due to that, to me they are terrestrial.
So you plan on keeping her along with her clutch? Any pics? (that might help others with identifying).
Many wolf spiders are quite fossorial. Geolycosa females dig deep vertical burrows and don't appear to ever leave them.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Brief question: I was asked if I could take care of a friend's Hogna and never had any in my inventory. I am interested in whether they can climb smooth surfaces (e.g. glass)?