Burrowing Wolf Spider Issue

STARMAN1995

Arachnopeon
Hello, so I recently caught a female Geolycosa Rafaelana from her burrow and I've actually had a species of this before. My issue is with the spider. I have the spider in a deep container with about 5 or 6 inches of substrate to burrow with as well as some ground litter so the spider can use it around the outside of the burrow. Issue is, the spider is constantly trying to climb the walls of the enclosure day through night and never stops. As said I've had this species before in other containers and all of said species constantly attempts to climb and get out of the enclosure constantly. Due to this the spider refues to burrow, or, if I premake one, they will not reside in it. I'm not sure why this is. The substrate is grabbed right from the mountains which I obtained them from. They have air, food and water. So I'm confused why the spider is constantly attempting to climb the enclosure 24/7 as opposed to burrowing. If anyone has any knowledge on burrowing spiders or even better burrowing wolf spiders like Geolycosa, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
I have kept G. pikei and G. missourensis and I also found that they wouldn't make a burrow in captivity themselves, but were willing to reside in a burrow I made for them by poking a thick pencil into the substrate. Maybe the burrows you've made aren't quite of the right circumfrence?

These spiders never willingly leave their burrows in the wild so I suppose they just don't have an instinct to construct a new burrow when mature.

STARMAN1995

Arachnopeon
I have kept G. pikei and G. missourensis and I also found that they wouldn't make a burrow in captivity themselves, but were willing to reside in a burrow I made for them by poking a thick pencil into the substrate. Maybe the burrows you've made aren't quite of the right circumfrence?

These spiders never willingly leave their burrows in the wild so I suppose they just don't have an instinct to construct a new burrow when mature.
Yeah I'll try another premade one. However was your burrow straight down vertical? I'm aware in the wild they have a chamber at the bottom they reside in, and I wonder if that's my issue, as they do not have a bottom chamber. The spider may make one itself in the premade burrow, but I'll see what results I get.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I’ve kept dozens of female G. missouriensis. Some of them built burrows after just a few days in captivity while others took 1-2 weeks. Mine do the same thing sometimes (trying to climb out initially). I suppose they’re hesitant to build a new burrow until they’re more settled in. I’ve found that it helps to add solid objects to the substrate to assist them in building burrows. I take small strips of cork and bury them halfway into the soil. Also, try to disturb them as little as possible. I’m sure increased stress plays a role in whether or not they start digging. As @Salmonsaladsandwich said, they never willingly leave their burrows so they probably feel pretty vulnerable when captured.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
I just poked a burrow straight down. I assume that once a spider has adopted a hole as its burrow it will refurbish it to its liking.

STARMAN1995

Arachnopeon
I just poked a burrow straight down. I assume that once a spider has adopted a hole as its burrow it will refurbish it to its liking.
Yeah, I did that, made the burrow about 5-6 inches? Anyways the spider I coaxed down deep in to the hole and over night it made the burrow to it's liking. Thanks for the solution.