Burrowing w/ no Substrate

Jezabel

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, I'm very new to the Tarantula world and as some of you may know, I have a 2 inch G. Pulchra (Female) that I bought about 2 weeks ago. She's finally made herself at home and has PLENTY of room (12X12 Octagon Acyrlic Tank). I have a question though. She ate 2 large crickets yesterday (first time I've seen her eat since I've had her) and she has created her burrow on the side of the tank, which is great for me bc I can still see her. However, she's closed herself in her burrow completely, which is fine, except that her burrow flooring is now the acrylic tank with no webbing what-so-ever.

Will she web right before she molts? I'm not sure that she is quite ready to, no bald spot yet that I can see. I'm just concerned that when she decides to molt, that she has soft "bedding" so she doesn't hurt herself on a hard surface.

Any advice?? :confused:

Last edited:

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would leave it alone. Several of mine have similar burrows and they molt without any problems. Your just having the usual new parent worries.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
^ I definitely agree with this. One of my tarantulas did this and although he hasn't molted yet he is doing fine. Dont worry about it a tarantula won't hurt itself like that. Remember the tarantula keepers saying: it knows what it's doing.

webbedone

Arachnobaron
My pulchra enclosed itself in a vial that it was shipped in(i used it for a hide) stayed there for over a month molted inside than stayed there another 2 weeks. Currently its about 3 - 3.5" its in a 5 gallon it made a burrow expanded it to a rediculus dimensions and has been staying there for 2 months now. One of my L.parahybana slings was housed in a small Kritter keeper made a burrow from the corner down and then sharp horizontal 90 that span the entire length of the bottom of the container blocked itself off and molted inside to a rofl rediculus size. Nothing new and nothing to worry about, main thing dont disturb and just make sure its propertly hydrated

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well, first of all, if your t is only around 2 inches a tank thats 12x12 is WAY TOO LARGE. the t COULD BE burrowing just because its frightened. 2nd, if its in anything besides a tighter spaced deli cup, it should have alot of substrate. A G. pulchra is terrestrial and dosent need tank height and no way should it be burrowing to acrylic. ( meaning only an inch or two of substrate) if however i am wrong, and it IS IN PREMOLT, it will make a lil web hammock so to speak. they know their body will be vulnerable so they go to the extremity of the hammock to ensure safety

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
They don't burrow because they are frightened. That makes no sense. It's just making itself at home. It's what they do, large enclosure or not.
I agree that it is way bigger than what's necessary, but it's not impossible to make it work.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
no doubt. im just sayin its a possibility. a big enclosure and a baby t dont really go to well.. ive got quite a few slings though and from what ive observed is if a sling under 3 inches roughly has more than 2 to 2.5 times its total radius , they seem to burrow or hide more. i dont mean frightened like IN FEAR FOR ITS LIFE, but they are less active and it will wait for food to come to it. a t in a smaller enclosure moves a bit more, hides a lot less and eats easier ( even if its only because its in the ts face)

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

TO THE OP, your t will use its burrow for whatever it intended, and it will molt on the acrylic, or make itself a web hammock of sorts when its ready. i WOULD fill the enclosure at least half full of substrate though. if im not mistaken, a G. pulchra is a terrestrial species so they dont need that much of a height. plus avoids the risk of them falling far, should it happen to climb

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
From a molting standpoint, she'll be fine against the base of the enclosure.

If any of the 'decor' you put in there is heavy and causes her burrow to collapse, then she might be in trouble.

Capitalizing species name is incorrect.

How do you know it's female?

synyster

Arachnobaron
xhexdx ~ Why do you feel the need to correct people & to prove them wrong?? Are you feeling inadequate about something?? Lighten up a little!?! I honestly do not think people AREN'T going to know the species I (or anyone else for that matter) am talking about if it's capitalized . . . ?? Really??! My question wasn't about the correct spelling / capitalization about my Tarantula nor was it about what sex it was. I appreciate how concerned you are on the matter though. Next time, please do not do that to me again. I'd appreciate it! :embarrassed:

I apologize to anyone who I have offended by capitalizing my species name . . .

P.S. Perhaps you should look at YOUR profile with it's capitalized species names before trying to correct others.
Jezabel, I think that it was more of a pointer that Joe put out and not an attack or just to prove you wrong. Most people come on the boards to learn more about the hobby so gathering information is always a good idea. Now if this was the only thing he had wrote, ok it would have been off the point, but he stated that it would molt fine the way it is. This is a good and precise answer to your question and I agree to it. The rest were pointers. Is there anything heavy over the place she burrowed? This is a good question... If so, you should probably make sure it's solid;) And the spelling reference is good to know for future writings IMO. The more we learn the better we get:)
Capitalized genus, not species ;)

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
xhexdx ~ Why do you feel the need to correct people & to prove them wrong?? Are you feeling inadequate about something?? Lighten up a little!?! I honestly do not think people AREN'T going to know the species I (or anyone else for that matter) am talking about if it's capitalized . . . ?? Really??! My question wasn't about the correct spelling / capitalization about my Tarantula nor was it about what sex it was. I appreciate how concerned you are on the matter though. Next time, please do not do that to me again. I'd appreciate it! :embarrassed:

I apologize to anyone who I have offended by capitalizing my species name . . .

P.S. Perhaps you should look at YOUR profile with it's capitalized species names before trying to correct others.
Wow - - what's with the personal attacks? xhexdx said nothing that was incorrect, gave a valid answer to your question, and didn't even criticize you personally. It may be that you are the one needing to lighten up a little.

P.S. There aren't any species names capitalized on his profile either . . . you might want to check the accuracy of your statements before you just continue to throw them out there.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My G. pulchra, acquired at ~2", spent the first 7 months I had it underground, continued to eat regularly and molted twice while burrowed. It burrowed straight down through ~7" of substrate, then leveled off against the bottom of the enclosure where it created a cavern. I believe it 'wintered' underground because it has been topside for about 2 months now.

It's been my experience that tarantulas do not grow a bald spot in preparation to molt. If they have one it will usually turn dark prior to molt, though this is not always guaranteed either. Many you can appreciate the darkening opisthosoma even through abundant setae. My G. pulchra has never had a bald spot. Its exuviums were fully 'haired'. Only one of my Ts (an LP) has kicked anything close to a bald spot, yet they all molt on 'schedule' (their schedule:)) and normally.

As others have stated, they will modify their 'bedrooms' to suit their needs - rearrange substrate, create molting mat or hammock, excavate new molting room, etc. As others pointed out, be sure there is nothing heavy above that may compromise the burrow.

My guy (I'm pretty sure immature male) is about 4+ inches now. I think I will get him a larger, deeper home before winter so there is plenty of burrowing room. I think your enclosure looks great.