burrowing structure

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
does anyone have any references or papers that detail scorpion burrows with regard to the structure/layout of burrows (straight, curved, chambered, multichambered, etc.) and also wether said factors vary from species to species. For the most part i'm looking for data on their habits in the wild rather than in captivity, but if there really is little variation than it is kind of a moot point. this would help me out a lot. I'm especially interested in any literature on Opistothalmus with regards to this subject. Thanks,

John

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Pandinus,

I was searching around on this subject and came across this LINK It's mid way down the page. Showing casts of a modern scorpion burrow from the Simpson Desert in the Northern Territory, Australia. It doesn't name the sp.

Thaedion

<edit> here is a link to a PDF starting on pg 220 talking about the link I linked above.

<edit> here is another link that I thought was interesting LINK 'Burrowing behaviour' and 'Burrow survival and architecture' of the H. fulvipes. there is a good picture of a casted burrow. All in all very interesting article.

<edit> Another PDF LINK describing CHELOCTONUS JONESII burrow

Last edited:

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pandinus,

I was searching around on this subject and came across this LINK It's mid way down the page. Showing casts of a modern scorpion burrow from the Simpson Desert in the Northern Territory, Australia. It doesn't name the sp.

Thaedion
very nice work! BTW, you can call me John.;) I'm curious as to wether it ever opens up enough to where the scorpion can turn around, or maybe they can anyway.

John

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I am going to assume you've already read through the relevent sections of Polis (1990). Some articles that may or may not be of any use:

LAMORAL B.H. (1978): Soil Hardness, an Important and Limiting Factor in Burrowing Scorpions of the Genus Opisthophthalmus C. L. Koch, 1837 (Scorpionidae, Scorpionida) – Symp. Zool. Soc. London No. 42: 171–181

CRAWFORD R.L. (1981): Burrowing behavior in the scorpion Paruroctonus boreus (Girard). Proc. Wash. St. Ent. Soc., 43: 603

EASTWOOD E.B. (1978): Notes on the scorpion fauna of the Cape. Part 4. The burrowing activities of some scorpionids and buthids (Arachnida, Scorpionida). Ann. S. Afr. Mus., 74 (10): 249-255.
I have the first document. It doesn't look like it relates directly to your query as you stated it, but may be of tangential interest -- or of interest if you have a broader interest in this topic. The other documents I don't have, though would be interested in browsing if you get them. You are at college now, non? If that is the case, you should be able to put your interlibrary loan people on the hunt. Also, you may find some good information by following the citations in Polis (1990). I haven't looked at it myself recently.

So why the interest in this area?

Cheers,
Dave

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So why the interest in this area?

Cheers,
Dave
I don't know if it's a decent reason, but mostly because i realized how little i know on the subject. I was explaining to someone about haplopelmas, lycosids, trapdoors, etc., and their burrowing habbits. and then i realized that apart from the fact that burrows are often spiraled, i know little to nothing about the burrowing structures of scorpions or whether they vary from scorpion to scorpion. I'm sure it is a well documented subject, but i cant say i have ever heard much mention of it. I'd be intersted to know the layouts more intimately. are they narrow, or wide enouh to allow scorpions to turn, are there chambers or turrets, etc.

John