burrowing question

ragnarok

Arachnopeon
I recently changed my Haplopelma Lividum's cage. I am using coco-fiber about 7 inches deep,but my T has no interest in burrowing I also compressed the coco-fiber down is that bad or should I make it loose any suggestions? I also wanted to maybe make a entrance out of something for it to start that way but idk....

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
it should start burrowing once it gets used to being rehoused...give it some time...and packing it down should be better, cause it will help with cave-ins...

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yea, packed substrate is a good idea... the t will do t

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

* spider will do what it does... my p. reg sling is burrowing rite now, and as a matter of fact my parahybana is diggin too.. shes actually webbing the front of her smaller hide and fillind it with moist dirt... shes rolling it liake carpet

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I also have a 4 inch H.lividum who doesn't burrow but just stays in the open. What she does is to just web up her floor.

Well I guess there's an oddity in every specie.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
In my experience this species can take anywhere from days to months before they finally decide to go underground. How deep was the starter-burrow you made? I've had success with this method if I scrape a hole at least 2-3 inches deep (it's usually a good idea to place a cup over your H. lividum while you do this for obvious reasons :D). Sometimes they ignore it completely and start digging somewhere else, but every one I've owned eventually got the idea. One of mine acted just like Bosing's and webbed a mat over a corner of substrate. She remained on it for nearly 3 months before finally digging down.

In the meantime, at least you can get to take some pictures of a nice looking blue spider instead of a boring hole in the substrate :D. Although, some of the dirt and web structures they construct at the mouths to their burrows also have their own beauty in my eyes.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In their natural habitat they'll live in thick mud, not coir :)
You'll need a burrow of at least 6", probably a few ft to immitate how they burrow in the wild. But if you're T is living in a small enclosure its possible it considers it as its burrow.
As Londoner says, enjoy it whilst it lasts. :)

ragnarok

Arachnopeon
In my experience this species can take anywhere from days to months before they finally decide to go underground. How deep was the starter-burrow you made? I've had success with this method if I scrape a hole at least 2-3 inches deep (it's usually a good idea to place a cup over your H. lividum while you do this for obvious reasons :D). Sometimes they ignore it completely and start digging somewhere else, but every one I've owned eventually got the idea. One of mine acted just like Bosing's and webbed a mat over a corner of substrate. She remained on it for nearly 3 months before finally digging down.

In the meantime, at least you can get to take some pictures of a nice looking blue spider instead of a boring hole in the substrate :D. Although, some of the dirt and web structures they construct at the mouths to their burrows also have their own beauty in my eyes.
thats a good idea about putting a cup over it so it will burrow

JRsmallz

Arachnopeon
I think the "obvious reasons" for putting the cup over the t were to take precausions regarding a possible bite. Not to "force" the T to burrow.

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
I think the "obvious reasons" for putting the cup over the t were to take precausions regarding a possible bite. Not to "force" the T to burrow.
agreed - otherwise, the cup may become part of the burrow . . . then, good luck getting it back :rolleyes: