Burrowing Pokeys!!!???

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got a question for you.
Anybody ever see a pokey burrow. I got 3 pokeys yesterday, P. rufilata, P. faciata, and P. ornata, the ornata has a little hole in the substrate that it seems to have dug. These are all slings and have little fake-plant climbing fixtures. Just a new idea for them I guess.
dale

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Of my 4 sub-adult pokeys, all 4 burrow most of the time..

Nothing unusual..

Bill

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh well, i just was caught off guard cuz I figured that they were full time arboreal from birth. hmmmmm
dale

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In the wild though, There probably won't be sufficient room for all the babies within one tree, and I guess it's easier to head to the ground and burrow rather than head to the ground and climb another tree

Anyway, mine burrowed, shortly after, it moved it's burrow up into it's nest... by making a web-tent then packing on dirt, heres a pic from a few months back. It's doubled in size now

Attachments

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a 3in. Redslate, I housed it in one of those tall soup containers from a chinese takeout restaurant, it has dug an interesting burrow. It mixed some webbing in with the peat, and went to the bottom. I hardly ever see it, but as long as its in its container...

Steve