Burrowing G. Rosea?

Iggy22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My G. Rosea started pushing dirt from the floor of his cage to the opening to his hide. He webbed it shut and he wont come out! Has this ever happened to anyone? I don't know when he last molted because I just bought him in February. It doesn't appear to be molting. I am posting a picture so you can see what's up. I have the back of his hide covered with black construction paper so the light doesn't get in. I just peeled it back and took pictures from the inside.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/svujeys22/DSC00467.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/svujeys22/DSC00470.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/svujeys22/DSC00469.jpg

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
He's either being wierd, like most G.rosea are, or hes gonna molt soon. The webbing and blocking of the entrance, leads me to believe it's an upcoming molt. Premolt for G.roseas can take a couple of months, so I would continue trying to feed, remove the crickets after 24 hours, and ust try not to bother it.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Are you sure it's a "he"? Just wondering because if you bought it at a store it's probably wild caught. I have heard about a lot of WC G. rosea that lay eggsacs shortly after being bought from a store. If it's defiantely a "he" then I would say he's getting ready to molt. Even if it's a she it could still just be in pre-molt. Although, my roseas never block themselves in to molt. They always do it out in the open.

Iggy22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The thing is, he doesn't look like he is going to molt. When I got him, he looked fairly freshly molted (maybe a few weeks). I hope this is what's up, or he is just being weird like you said. It might be too early to sex, but I believe it's a he.

This is a new experience for me with a G. Rosea. My other t Iggy was a bit of an odd one. VERY very docile. I used to keep him out of his cage most of the time. But this one.... aggressive as hell. Hence the name "Chuck Norris". I was going to go with Steven Segal, but who wants a T name that?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Are you sure it's a "he"? Just wondering because if you bought it at a store it's probably wild caught. I have heard about a lot of WC G. rosea that lay eggsacs shortly after being bought from a store. If it's defiantely a "he" then I would say he's getting ready to molt. Even if it's a she it could still just be in pre-molt. Although, my roseas never block themselves in to molt. They always do it out in the open.
I'm pretty sure hes just saying he, he probably doesn't know the gender, but you are definately right. It can be a gravid G.rosea. For some reason I didn't think of that, even since my female that I got 2 years ago laid an eggsac for me.

bcxsiv

Arachnopeon
I am kind of new here and don't post much, but I had to add my comment to this...
My Rosea (female) has done the webbing/burrowing thing since the very beginning. I have also had her since February. She molted just before I bought her from the pet store.
I think its just weird Rosea behavior.
Those pictures look exaclty the way my Rosea's looks, log and all.

My rosea recently webbed the entire enclosure (very fine webbing, not the thick heavy kind). I have the Exoterra enclosure for mine and she webbed the front doors, the entire substrate, the log opening and all across the middle. I couldn't change her water without ripping the webs.
Crazy little creatures!

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Rosea's are pretty much unpredictable. My rosea's doesn't like usin hides at all, they like being out in the open even durin molt.

Lorna

Arachnopeon
burrowing rosea

i purchased my rosea from a pet store. 2 weeks later she molted. 2 weeks after she dug herself into a hole but it was an amazing task to watch. It took her a couple of days to do. She first laid down a web around the outside of her log then she slowly pulled the web in while taking piles of dirt with it to close the entrance completly. She has been inside for 8 weeks. She does not come out for food or water. There is an opening on the side of the glass aquarium that i have her in so i can see her from "the other side". I know she is alive only because i see that she shifts positions in there. I wonder how she is going to get out of there and when? How long are they known to stay inside theyre burrow holes for without food and water? It is rather boring while they are in there but I have to say that it was defenetly an amazing thing to watch her work so hard to close the door.:wall: :wall:

Spiderface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I will cross my fingers that it's an eggsac but my experience with g rosea tells me that it is molting and will emerge when it is done.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well it could be either or neither mybe just wants so peace and quiet for a while . wierd bugs man

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ive had my adult female for a bit over 2 years and she is always burrowing. she makes a burrow, stays in it for maybe a week then i wake up and the burrow is filled in and shes digging some where else. i quit trying to figure her out a long time ago.
she does always molt out in the open. but she also didnt hide when she made her last eggsack. all i know is you never can tell what they are up to. only thing that i can be sure of with her is when shes ready for a molt. she curls up almost like a death curl and stays that way for 2 or 3 weeks before she molts. every now and then she will move a few inchs or turn around.

Lorna

Arachnopeon
still under

I couldnt stand it anymore. I probally shouldnt have done this but I pulled the dirt away from the opening. Just a little hole thats all. One night I caught her outside for a second. She was out and back in again real fast. No water, nothing. I threw a few crix in there. Dont know if shell eat of coarse. So much for PEACE. I guess I should watch for an upcoming molt?