burrowing boehmei?

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi all,

When I checked my Boehmeis enclosure today, i saw nothing but a big pile of peat under his hide. I couldn't find the spider anywhere. When I payed a closer look under his hide, I saw a big hole in the ground! Guess he just feels better sitting underground then under his hide...
Now my question is, is it normal for Boehmeis to burrow? And if he decides to stay in his burrow, can i remove his hide from his enclosure?

Ðennis

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
sure it's normal. my boehmei burrowed behind her terra cotta pot for a long while. then i removed the pot and gave her a big piece of dead wood to play under. she dug under the wood and created this nice little efficiency apartment space for herself.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by dennie
Hi all,

When I checked my Boehmeis enclosure today, i saw nothing but a big pile of peat under his hide. I couldn't find the spider anywhere. When I payed a closer look under his hide, I saw a big hole in the ground! Guess he just feels better sitting underground then under his hide...
Now my question is, is it normal for Boehmeis to burrow? And if he decides to stay in his burrow, can i remove his hide from his enclosure?

Ðennis
All of mine did as immatures. Their burrowing subsided as they matured, but since they all 3 turned out male, I don't know if this is typical of females as well. My experience with the genus Brachypelma, however, is that most specimens will burrow to at least some extent if given the opportunity.

Joy

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So far, both of my small brachys have enjoyed burrowing. My vagans is getting some decent size on him/her and hasn't burrowed at all since last molt. My B. angustum has made an incredible burrow!

I also noticed this behavior in my A. geniculata, which to the best of my knowledge isn't a burrowing species, when it was a s'ling/small juvie. It doesn't do it anymore.

Jon