Burrowing A.seemanii

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I've heard people say that A.seemanii really don't burrow much. Well, apparently my "Fluffy" hasn't heard about this, as she has constructed a rather impressuve burrow for herself.

Cheers,
Dave

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I used to have an A seemani named Locust and she was a major burrower. She would even close off her burrow sometimes with webbing. The A seemani I have now is not a burrower at all though.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dave,
When I got mine she dug a pretty large burrow. And like you I didn't think they were burrowers. So, I dug her out, reduced the substrate and put in a larger hide and that was the end of her digs. She still pushes the dirt around a little, but she stays above ground now..:)

Ernie

Attachments

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
I've heard people say that A.seemanii really don't burrow much. Well, apparently my "Fluffy" hasn't heard about this, as she has constructed a rather impressuve burrow for herself.

Cheers,
Dave
Dave, I've had seemanni who burrowed enthusiastically, and others who weren't into digging at all. They seem to be more individualistic in this respect than most species, at least IME.

Joy

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Diggers

I have an A Seemani and I have never once seen her try to dig at all. I agree with Joy, they do seem to be individualstic in that respect.

I have wondered why because I always heard that they ARE a burrowing species. I wonder why skinhead dave heard differenlty?

Probably because you have 15 different owners of 15 different Zebras saying 15 different things all based on the behavior of there particulare T.

Anyway, I have never seen mine dig at all.

-Charlie

KelliH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have four seemanni, and all but one of them like to burrow. Once when I was doing my nightly check of the spiders I came upon what appeared to be an empty A. seemanni enclosure. My heart sank as I fratically dug through the substrate, in what i thought was in vain. When I got to the very bottom of the enclosure, out pooped a dirt covered seemanni, much to my relief! Now I don't worry so much when I don't see them right away.

Here is a picture of one of mine coming out of its burrow:

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine made me wander for the first few weeks. She didn't web or push dirt or do anything. I thought maybe she was mentally challenged..hehe. Then one day I woke up and the little bugger had made this unreal systematic burrown that run under the flower pot, with the entrace in a mound of dirt inside the flower pot (which still had a bottom by the way) facing the back of the flower pot. I didn't find this out until I reached my hand into the pot and curled them behind the mound...two entered a burrow. I was like..>AH! Its great. She's still really young, about 2". How many years until she starts to get her more contrasted stripes and colors?

Dr_Strange

Arachnopeon
Our usumbara

Our usumbara would worry me, when he'd web-up the opening to his burrow; and there was no way to get out. So periodically I'd rip a hole in his webbing, so he could find his food. BTW his burrow was in a ceramic pot with one opening.

Never had a A. seemanii though

lol I know it's kinda off subject but since we're talking about burrows. :D