Burrower ?

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok , so I just transferred my 3 N. chromatus 1.25" slings into a cube enclosure with like 2" of sub , and one hides under the piece of bark , another made a little burrow , and the last one made a burrow all the way down to the other side ;) So I want to know , when these little creatures grow up , do they still burrow ? Thanks :)

Last edited:

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ok , so I just transferred my 3 1.25" slings into a cube enclosure with like 2" of sub , and one hides under the piece of bark , another made a little burrow , and the last one made a burrow all the way down to the other side ;) So I want to know , when these little creatures grow up , do they still burrow ? Thanks :)
Depends on the species......

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh yeah totally forgot ! HAHA lol I failed . N. chromatus .
LOL

Nhandu chromatus will usually use a hide as they are mainly a terrestrial species, from time to time they may burrow though, but I find most slings will burrow from time to time even arboreals, not so much Avicularia, but some Pslamopoeus and Poecilotheria species will readily burrow.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok thanks ! And adults or juvies ? I would say next molt they are going into juvie stage considering they will be about 2"

Tang

Arachnopeon
I once saw a post said they were a good display T's.But I found out my slings likes to burrow too..maybe when they reach juvie they will not burrow anymore.
Times tells............

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ok thanks ! And adults or juvies ? I would say next molt they are going into juvie stage considering they will be about 2"
Just depends on the T itself, one may burrow the others may not, most of my Nhandu chromatus' stayed pretty terrestrial through out maybe one or two burrowed in there younger stages.

:)

Evil Seedlet

Arachnopeon
My ~2" N. chromatus has quite a tunnel going.. I gave him in a largeish deli cup and when I put him in there I made him a starter burrow.. he was content with it until his last molt when he started tunneling and filling his waterbowl with dirt >: ( lol. He dug all the way to the bottom and then started tunneling along the bottom edge for maybe two or three inches, and has started to dig up again. It's pretty cool!

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My ~2" N. chromatus has quite a tunnel going.. I gave him in a largeish deli cup and when I put him in there I made him a starter burrow.. he was content with it until his last molt when he started tunneling and filling his waterbowl with dirt >: ( lol. He dug all the way to the bottom and then started tunneling along the bottom edge for maybe two or three inches, and has started to dig up again. It's pretty cool!
Typical tarantula, make them a nice enclosure with a nice fresh water dish and all they want to do is bulldoze it and fill the water dish with substrate!!!

:wall:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As adults they won't burrow nearly as much but will still be pretty shy. They'll stay in their hide a lot but you will see them some.

Evil Seedlet

Arachnopeon
Typical tarantula, make them a nice enclosure with a nice fresh water dish and all they want to do is bulldoze it and fill the water dish with substrate!!!

:wall:
hehe. The waterdish thing is a bit annoying but I am really enjoying watching the progress of the tunnel. It's going to be sad when he's too big for the deli cup and I gotta wreck it. I should get some video before then, he probably has a while to go before his next molt anyway.

Plus, it makes feeding easier (for him anyway), the stupid crickets always run RIGHT for the tunnel and get munched instantly.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hehe. The waterdish thing is a bit annoying but I am really enjoying watching the progress of the tunnel. It's going to be sad when he's too big for the deli cup and I gotta wreck it. I should get some video before then, he probably has a while to go before his next molt anyway.

Plus, it makes feeding easier (for him anyway), the stupid crickets always run RIGHT for the tunnel and get munched instantly.
:)

Worst thing is when you get a big defensive T and the water dish drama continues, if you don't get all the substrate out then the water dissapears within hours, getting it out though you may get haired or nice threat pose!!!

Evil Seedlet

Arachnopeon
XD FTM I'm not really interested in any super defensive T's, my chromie always just runs into his hole whenever I go to open the cup and I hear that's pretty standard for the species so I'm hoping that continues, heh. I can imagine that becoming a problem though.. maybe get a large piece of plexiglass that can fit in the enclosure to put between your T and the waterbowl so you can get it out?

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
XD FTM I'm not really interested in any super defensive T's, my chromie always just runs into his hole whenever I go to open the cup and I hear that's pretty standard for the species so I'm hoping that continues, heh. I can imagine that becoming a problem though.. maybe get a large piece of plexiglass that can fit in the enclosure to put between your T and the waterbowl so you can get it out?
Nah I like it as it is, keeps you on your toes so to speak.....

{D