Burrower Substrate Question

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So I've noticed with two of my burrowers that when they decide to burrow, they BURROW. I now have a C. lividus enclosure filled to the lid with substrate above the tunnel entrance. My P. muticus did this first, but not quite to the extent.

My question is this: is there a way to tell if they're making a "do not disturb" wall of dirt or just ran out of room to put material?

I'd like to remove the excess substrate if it has just run out of room.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Mines usually lock the burrow entrance with web and dirt. That's what my M.robustum do. Overall, at late night, I can spot those almost always, including part of my P.muticus if she's near the entrance; when this doesn't happens, combined with that web, means only one thing: don't bother. For pre-molt or what else. My E.murinus loves to "sit" at night at the entrance of her burrow, always, save for pre molt time.

I use those hints they give me for my schedule with those :-s

Now about your question only you can answer, without pics it's hard for me to judge. I say the more substrate, the better, with those. You can remove with tongs the substrate they put "outside" always.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Chris pretty much nailed it. A tarantula doesn't want to be disturbed when it makes a door of webbing or dirt over the hole, completely sealing themselves in. Creating a mound of dirt isn't anything to bat an eye at, they're just excavating. If you need to remove some dirt (something I have to do with almost all obligate burrowers eventually), then just do it. The spider won't mind, and likely won't notice.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mines usually lock the burrow entrance with web and dirt. That's what my M.robustum do. Overall, at late night, I can spot those almost always, including part of my P.muticus if she's near the entrance; when this doesn't happens, combined with that web, means only one thing: don't bother. For pre-molt or what else. My E.murinus loves to "sit" at night at the entrance of her burrow, always, save for pre molt time.

I use those hints they give me for my schedule with those :-s

Now about your question only you can answer, without pics it's hard for me to judge. I say the more substrate, the better, with those. You can remove with tongs the substrate they put "outside" always.
I'll need a shovel...
PSX_20160716_093312.jpg
Yeah it's abdomen is still on the small side (for premolt) I think it just ran out of room.

It's super cranky and a bit of an escape artist... I'll have to empty some sub in the tub. :sorry:

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
My rascally A. seemani has made underground tunnels ala the movie Tremors. I've put almost the same amt of substrate as you. Maybe you could plug the hole with with a brush and use a scoop to get the excess out.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
My rascally A. seemani has made underground tunnels ala the movie Tremors. I've put almost the same amt of substrate as you. Maybe you could plug the hole with with a brush and use a scoop to get the excess out.
My A seemanni never excavated. :( I had such high hopes for lots of tunneling but she never used her deep substrate to advantage. In fact, mine is happiest just sitting on the dampened side or near her water dish 24/7. No, she doesn't look the least dehydrated. Oh well, jealous of yours.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My A seemanni never excavated. :( I had such high hopes for lots of tunneling but she never used her deep substrate to advantage. In fact, mine is happiest just sitting on the dampened side or near her water dish 24/7. No, she doesn't look the least dehydrated. Oh well, jealous of yours.
This one just started burrowing after sitting on top of its sub for a month. Luckily it burrowed around the side of the enclosure so i can see it. :D

How long have you had it for? I was never under the impression these were fossorial Ts. Then again, I don't have one so I'm not sure of much about their care.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
How long have you had it for? I was never under the impression these were fossorial Ts. Then again, I don't have one so I'm not sure of much about their care.
18 months. lol Guess my girl didn't get the burrow memo. I even started the beginnings of one for her... she filled it in. Others here have posted about their A seemannis being excellent burrowers that made elaborate tunnels. Mine will occasionally go under her wood hide, and she did excavate a shallow ditch of sorts under that.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Mine's burrowing her little neurons out. She (I'm calling her a her, she's too little to know for sure) drinks her water and eats the prekilled crics. Like bryverine's, mine's burrowing so I can see her! Don't think they're fossorial, but that's one thing I don't remember reading. But aren't they cute!!!

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
My muticus has a trailing pile from her excavations that is spreading across the entire tank. She has undermined the entire lair.