burrow

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a g.rosea sling that dug itself a little burrow about 2 days ago. He's in a deli cup, and the only thing I could find to use as a hide is a small black shot glass. He dug underneath the glass, then turned and pushed sustrate into the opening of the burrow. He dug up against the side of the cup, so I can see him, and he seems to be ok, but I'm worried he won't be able to dig back out. Should I try to move some of the substrate aside, or just leave him alone?

SnakeManJohn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If he could dig that far in the first place, I'm sure he could dig himself out :D

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have one that loves to dig and fill in the holes. it will stay in there sometimes for weeks. she will dig her way out when she's ready. but you do want to be sure the shot glass doesnt fall in if she burrows under it. that could cause injury. i have noticed with all my rosea slings, if you put anything in the tank they will burrow under it for some reason. so i try to make sure if its heavy that its touching bottom at some point.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some ts just like to dig and rearrange; both of my G. roseas do this a lot.

ratz00

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
All my g. roseas burrow. Mine does so at right angles and always by the glass so I guess I am lucky. All of them are now 4cm in LS. I got them 1-1.5 cm last January. They have molted at least 4-5 times since then. Dont worry about the plugging of holes in their burrows, for they can dig out. It just makes them harder to feed though. I am more worried about the shot glass you have, it might crush them if they hit a weak spot in the substrate. Anyhow, slings dont really need hides for they can burrow more readily than would adults in captivity. :D