Burried B Smithi

daj287

Arachnopeon
Hi,
I know there are other threads about this but a this has been a while I thought I best ask.
My b smithi (juv) burried himself inside his hide about a month ago, I don't really know how he did it because it's completely sealed off and the whole thing is webbed shut so he must be a magician or something. But anyway, I'm a bit worried because there has been no sign of him for the past month, and as he's only small, didn't think he'd moult for this length of time.
Any suggestions as I'm worrying about his wellbeing.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Hi,
I know there are other threads about this but a this has been a while I thought I best ask.
My b smithi (juv) burried himself inside his hide about a month ago, I don't really know how he did it because it's completely sealed off and the whole thing is webbed shut so he must be a magician or something. But anyway, I'm a bit worried because there has been no sign of him for the past month, and as he's only small, didn't think he'd moult for this length of time.
Any suggestions as I'm worrying about his wellbeing.
He's moulting. He's sealing himself off to stay safe whilst he changes clothes.

Unfortunately too Brachypelma Smithi is now Brachypelma hamorii. I know it's just wrong.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Spiders will do that. If it makes you feel any better, all of my tarantulas will do this, and I have NEVER had one end up dead in that situation before.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I would say not to worry to much , he maybe premoult , when they do tend to hide away for a while . I have an adult , had him since February, and his refused to eat ever since . Hopefully an more experienced member will have some more ideas !

daj287

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys,
I would also like to point out that this happened within a week of getting him. Don't know if he was already in pre moult before and then the move stressed him out. I hope not anyway

Deb60

Arachnosquire
Thanks guys,
I would also like to point out that this happened within a week of getting him. Don't know if he was already in pre moult before and then the move stressed him out. I hope not anyway
I that care I expect his fine , Ts don't like change , and when I've had new Ts they all tend to hide away sometimes for a week or longer as in your case . It was one of the things I was worried about to begin with , but it's normal behaviour.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I that care I expect his fine , Ts don't like change , and when I've had new Ts they all tend to hide away sometimes for a week or longer as in your case . It was one of the things I was worried about to begin with , but it's normal behaviour.
Aye. You've to remember a T has its life in its enclosure. It's a huge deal for them to be moved. Literally their whole world is moved.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
So should I just leave him be until he digs his way out?
definitely leave him. Digging him out would just cause more stress to him, as he most likely did it purposefully to not be bothered.

this is very common with not only Brachy's, but tarantula's in general. my brachy's always seal themselves away before a molt. hell sometimes they do it just to do it.

about a week ago i went to fill my B. Albopilosums water bowl, and forgot the spray bottle was on Mist setting and not the stream setting, and accidentally misted her in the face. she got a little wet and immediately went to her hide. webbed the front and has been facing the wall now for a week. basicly seems like the tarantula version of a kid running to their room and slamming their door on you.

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks guys,
Post pics of the t and its enclosure. This is classic pre-molt behavior, although a small t in a new home that's oversized will do the same thing very often unrelated to a molt.

It could emerge in a day or two, it could stay there for 6 months.

How big is the t...small doesn't tell us much at all.
So should I just leave him be until he digs his way out?
Absolutely....always leave them be unless you start smelling death.

this is very common with not only Brachy's, but tarantula's in general. my brachy's always seal themselves away before a molt. hell sometimes they do it just to do it.
+1

Devin B

Arachnobaron
My B. Hamorii sling burried himself for about five months so one months is no worry. I was lucky enough to have it burrow right next to the wall of the enclosure so I could see it always. Ive found that tarantulas do what they want when they want and how they want, all on their own schedule. I suggest getting more T's so you have more to look at while your B. Hamorii is underground.