Burowing T.

Giantsfan24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey guys, long time viewer, first time poster. I recently got a Cobalt Blue and am looking to get another burrowing yet beautiful T. I have checked out the N. Chromatus and the Usambar Baboon. I'm pretty sure the Baboon burrows(and makes a huge mess of webbing, which I love but what about the Chromatus? They are so frigin beautiful but I would choose something else if they don't burrow(maybe a tiger rump are green bottle blue).

Anyway, what is your opinions on these two? Any other I might want to watch for? Also, please dont recomend a T. that would cost over 60-70 dollars like some I've seen. I am just getting back into T.'s and also keep snakes(which takes up some of my hobby money). Thanks and this board is truly a life line for us.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Ever checked out Citharischius crawshayi (King Baboon)? Very nice, large burrower, with lots of attitude if you try and pet it. ;)

Price, depends ofcourse on if you buy online, from the right people, or if you buy in a pet shop.

Welcome to the board!

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Try A. seemani, the blue colour morph is a beautiful spider when you get a chance to see it. They are relatively inexpensive, and big time burrowers.

Giantsfan24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ive heard the Zebra Leg's aren't as reliable burrowers as some of species. Actually, I had planned on getting one(eventually) since they burrow and are handleable(not to mention pretty common).

But what about N. Chromatus? Are they reliable burrowers(i guess a better term is obligate)?

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ive heard the Zebra Leg's aren't as reliable burrowers as some of species. Actually, I had planned on getting one(eventually) since they burrow and are handleable(not to mention pretty common).

But what about N. Chromatus? Are they reliable burrowers(i guess a better term is obligate)?
no they are not obligatory burrowers. they are oportunistic at best. i have two and both just use a hide and couldnt care less about burrowing. some p.murinus (usambara babboon) wont burrow, some will. they are a strange spider. they can be burrowers, totally terrestrial, arboreal, etc.

thunderthief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Luckily my A. seemanni was kind enough to burrow right to the bottom and right across the other side of the tank while keeping close to the side, so even when hidden in the burrow I can see her.

Im now tempted to get another burrower and am looking at the H. lividum

BooyaTarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a N. Chromatus as well and it does not burrow at all. Also, I recently got a C. Fasciatum (tiger rump) and I thought they only burrowed when they were juv? Why do you want burrowers? I never even see my A. Seemanni anymore.

Giantsfan24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've had terrestrial and arboreal species(currently have both a guyana pink toe and a rose hair along with the cobalt) and for some reason think its really cool when they burrow. To me, it makes the enclosure look more like nature.

What about Ceratogyrus brachycephalus? They are quite beautiful and swiftinverts says they burrow.

Any more suggestions for burrowing species?

Last edited:

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
maybe another Haplopelma. Minax is nice, so is Schmidti (im not sure if i spelled that correctly).