Buried sling

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
This has never happened to me yet. What do you think I should do.

About 3.5 weeks ago I acquired a 1cm Homoeomma sp "Blue Peru" 2. I put it into a 10cm long X 7 X 7 (too big) I put in a very small cricket (bad me, should have fed it pre-killed). The sling ran away from it and I have not seen it since. I have been offering pre-killed since, but I have not noticed that it has eaten anything in almost a month. Should I dig it up and rehouse it?

Last edited:

justanotherTkeeper

Arachnosquire
Leave it alone.
Tarantula will tarantula
Some of their actions seem questionable to us, but they know what's best for them
If it's hiding from you, it doesn't want to be found
Just wait
You will see it again when it's hungry and/or after it molts
:)

Kitara

Arachnodemon
When/if it resurfaces should I rehouse it into a more appropriate smaller enclosure?
That's what I did. My B. smithi buried himself for several months and it was less than an inch. So I finally dug it up and put it in a deli cup. It made all the difference. Just like a kid ya have to make your own mistakes before you listen to the ones that know better LOL.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
This has never happened to me yet. What do you think I should do.

About 3.5 weeks ago I acquired a 1cm Homoeomma sp "Blue Peru" 2. I put it into a 10cm long X 7 X 7 (too big) I put in a very small cricket (bad me, should have fed it pre-killed). The sling ran away from it and I have not seen it since. I have been offering pre-killed since, but I have not noticed that it has eaten anything in almost a month. Should I dig it up and rehouse it?
I'm still fairly new to the hobby. I acquired my first T December 2019. Whenever I am interested in a new pet, dog for example I do all my research on it first.

With that said I knew enough to get started with slings. The one thing you don't do is dig them up.

Not trying to be mean or sarcastic but the more experienced keepers than me get bombarded with three type of questions per day/week/month.

1. Should I dig up my sling?
2. Is this enclosure the right size for my 1 to 2 inch sling? (usually a 10 gallon with 1 inch of sand, pebble or dirt)
3. My sling won't eat is there something wrong with it?

These basic should of known before questions I myself see all the time. Although many members will offer help it's better for the owner to research these basic questions. One of my slings was sealed in it's burrow for over 2 months and I left it alone because I knew not to worry about it.

Tarantulas are an unconventional type of creature. What humans are used to doesn't fit the pattern of T's.