Buried itself

kooky

Arachnosquire
Hello,

I have a G.Pulchripes sling that has buried itself. Now i highly doubt it is in premoult as it moulted almost 2 week ago, and ever since it has reburied itself and i havnt seen it since. It hasn't eaten since it moulted and i haven't seen it drinking from its water dish, the only evidence i have it is even in there, is the slightly raised dirt mound where im guessing it buried itself.

After 2 weeks post moult i would assume by now it would be hungry, should i start placing prekilled crickets in the deli cup, or wait until it shows itself before doing so. There isn't an entrance where it is buried, its completely covered the top.

Just not sure what to do, as i was under the impression t's are quite hungry and thirsty after moulting.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Just leave it be. It'll come out when it wants to, it's just being a tarantula.

kooky

Arachnosquire
Just leave it be. It'll come out when it wants to, it's just being a tarantula.
yeah im not going to dig it up or anything, just wasn't sure if there were any warning sings of a t not wanting to eat after a moult. I always thought they were super hungry when they harden up. Thanks :).

DragonizedGlory

Arachnosquire
My fully grown male G. Pulchripes did that when I placed it in a temporary enclosure. The hole was a bit bigger than a sling would make but he didn't move a lot either. Nor was he buried very deeply. So just observe him. This species I find very interesting to look at.

He's probably high as (edit), thinking he's a trap door spider and (edit). (Jk)

Last edited by a moderator:

kooky

Arachnosquire
My fully grown male G. Pulchripes did that when I placed it in a temporary enclosure. The hole was a bit bigger than a sling would make but he didn't move a lot either. Nor was he buried very deeply. So just observe him. This species I find very interesting to look at.

He's probably high as f***, thinking he's a trap door spider and shit. (Jk)
I actually cant see him at all, but i do have a look every day to see if there is any change. Maybe he when he moulted he didn't like his new look and is hiding himself out of embarrassment. Im sure his eight legged neighbors don't care what he looks like at all, even if one is an arrogant a.versi.

DragonizedGlory

Arachnosquire
I think mine learned it from my LP. That thing bulldozes EVERYTHING! I have to constantly take its water dish out of the dirt. She's calmed down now since she's in premolt. But my G. Pulchripes also only did it once. He basically made a burrow and just barely covered himself with dirt so only his two front legs were visible.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
yeah im not going to dig it up or anything, just wasn't sure if there were any warning sings of a t not wanting to eat after a moult. I always thought they were super hungry when they harden up. Thanks :).
As soon as they have enough food to get them through the next molt they will often hide where it's safe. The molt could still be a ways off. I had a B.albopilosum molt harden up and then feed like crazy. 7 days later it's back buried. It stayed that way till it molted again.

Should be anything to worry about.

kooky

Arachnosquire
As soon as they have enough food to get them through the next molt they will often hide where it's safe. The molt could still be a ways off. I had a B.albopilosum molt harden up and then feed like crazy. 7 days later it's back buried. It stayed that way till it molted again.

Should be anything to worry about.
It just more the fact it hasn't actually eaten anything since it moulted 2 weeks ago, so it seems weird for it to moult, not eat then go back into premoult. I'm sure it is nothing to worry about, just wanna fatten the lil guy up again.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
It just more the fact it hasn't actually eaten anything since it moulted 2 weeks ago, so it seems weird for it to moult, not eat then go back into premoult. I'm sure it is nothing to worry about, just wanna fatten the lil guy up again.
Right, it just depends on how fat it was to start with. When they are small slings they can go several molts without eating if they are fat. In the wild they may not find nearly the amount of food we provide for them. Two of my juvies have not been fed since before their last molt cause they still have overly plump abdomens. Make sure they have good access to water and they will be fine. :)

kooky

Arachnosquire
Right, it just depends on how fat it was to start with. When they are small slings they can go several molts without eating if they are fat. In the wild they may not find nearly the amount of food we provide for them. Two of my juvies have not been fed since before their last molt cause they still have overly plump abdomens. Make sure they have good access to water and they will be fine. :)
ah ok thanks :)